Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Alta Twurbo Kit

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by veloce2000, Aug 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. veloce2000

veloce2000 New Member

May 20, 2010
    Retired, Quality Control
    Rockledge, Florida
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any info on this system?
    Has anyone ever installed one?
    Tks for help.

2. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I looked into this a while back. I just think it costs way too much money ($4000 without a tune). I ran into a guy in Manchester NH with a home-brewed version of this. It only cost him about $2500 to do himself. As for how it handles, I don't know either. The system is NOT OBD-II emissions compliant, so it WILL throw engine codes. And I'm not sure if a tune would help this problem either. Supposedly Alta can custom build you one, but like I said, it still seems too expensive to me for what you get. The kit installs a larger (yes, LARGER) supercharger pulley (5% larger) and puts a turbo in the mix. I believe how it works is it uses the larger pulley to help get more power early and to avoid any kind of turbo lag. I haven't done a whole lot of research on this, but if you do get this kit, you can run it with the stock components. If you do get a tune, you will need to replace the intercooler (another $1000). I just checked the Alta website and they don't even have it up anymore so they might have scraped it.

Revolution Motor Works was working on a Rotrex Supercharger kit that made 295whp, but the 440cc injectors couldn't handle it, and they were going to get 550cc injectors and push it to 8000rpms. I don't remember hearing anything else about it after that. I don't know if they scraped it or not, but it was beastly! Anything over 350whp is useless in a MINI unless you spend sh*t tons of money and make it a track only MINI. Do some more research on it. I'm sure with $4000 you could spend on the twurbo kit, you could make the same amount of numbers with other mods, and it'll be more reliable since there's not a lot of people with the twurbo kit out there and a lot of people with modded engines. Check out some big valve head kits, stroker kits, cams, and other engine components. You could probably get a 300hp MINI for that same price, tune included!

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The larger pulley

is to get the SC back into its thermal efficiency sweet spot. In the stock S, and underdrive pulleys in general, are starting to push the M45 into a performance envelope that is a bit beyond its capabilities. By running the SC slower, you can get it back there, and then run a relatively low boost/small turbo so that it spools fast and is very efficient thermally.

But if you want really big HP, you ditch the SC completely. It becomes a bottleneck at really high HP levels.

The Rotrex is alive and well, but I think Longboard is happy where his system is at. Jan has played with another Rotrex set up, but I don't know the details on it.

Matt