Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Another Coilover Post

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by naucrx, Mar 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    After some debating about whether to keep my car or not, I've decided to keep it and suspension mods are next on the list.

I've pretty much decided (based on price, functionality, and how I will use the car) that the Megan Racing coilovers fit the bill. I had them on my Evolution and I really liked them. The camber plates and damper adjust put them ahead of the Vmaxx that everyone says good things about.

My questions are...

-Will I need adjustable rear camber links/control arms on a 2005? I intend to go somewhat aggressive on the drop, 1.5-2".

-Will I need to get wheel spacers for the front? I am currently running the Enkei RPF-1 17x7 +35 on a 205/45/17 but will be replacing with 215/45 before it gets too far into summer.

-Any other components I should look at replacing? My MCS has 117k on the odo.
    [/b]

I've poked around and found some information scattered here and there but nothing for sure that gives me the warm and fuzzy (unless I'm having a Friday moment here...urg)

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
    -D

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    JRZ or AST coilovers for the win, otherwise I would consider Swift Springs, Bilstein sports struts and Vorshlag camber plates..

2cents

3. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would think JRZ is a little extreme. Every vendor I've spoken to say's they are for track only. Ride being way to stiff for road. I could be wrong. I really haven't heard of anyone running them.

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I have run the Megan's for about 50,000 miles or so now. Not the best out there by far, but if your main goal is the lowered look, they do that just fine.
    Mine is dropped alittle over 1.5'' and I do have adj. rear controls arms to get alignment to where I wanted it..
    I don't see any need for spacers in the front..You'll be closer to rubbing the fender trim then you will anything else.. spacer would just push it out there further..
    Look in my "garage" and or "Gallery" for pics..

5. WolfGTI

WolfGTI Active Member

May 21, 2009
    NJ
    Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0
    What are you running on your car Newbs49? I know you track it some of the time at the Glen.

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    With an R53 at 115k miles, I'd think about the upper strut mounts if you haven't replaced 'em already. They are a common source of failure and I'd think that they would be pretty well shot on yours by now. Perhaps a set of Ireland Engineering fixed front plates would be a nice, sturdy upgrade, but you have to make sure that they will play nice with whatever coil-over you decide to go with.

I'd also think that your lower control arm bushings could be toast by now... maybe ball joints too (less likely, but possible). I'd have a good mechanic take a look for wear and tear on the suspension.

I'd also replace the rear upper strut mount bushings. I had a thread around here about doing that and someone posted a link to a $30 set of aftermarket replacements. Mine had compressed WAY too much over 5-6 years and 75k miles. If you buy 'em from the dealership, you can't buy just the bushings... I wound up paying over $150 for new bushings and upper rear plates at the parts desk when I only really needed new bushings.

7. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey Mendra
    Haven't heard from you in a long time. I still have the stock GP suspension on the car except for Ireland fixed plates front and adjustable arms in back and a few Mason Engineering parts on the car. If I keep the car I'm going to go to TC Kline coilovers. I really haven't seen the need for coilovers right now as I haven't had any problems at the track....I may be selling the GP as it just doesn't fill the bill anymore. Looking at a couple Z06's. Getting the need for real speed again.

8. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Adjustable rear camber links: yes
    Wheel spacers: probably not
    Other components: front outer ball joints are easy and relatively cheap, and they'll go quick if you're doing a 1.5"-2.0" drop. Front control arm bushings make a huge positive difference if yours are worn and/or not polyurethane.

Have a mechanic go through your car if you're concerned. Wheel bearings will experience accelerated wear at that drop; those can leave you stranded.

9. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Awesome, lots of good info in here so far. Thanks!

JRZ/AST are definitely way out of budget. I wouldn't mind some KW v2 or v3 for that matter. But I'm trying to keep it under $1k if possible for everything. My car is just a daily driver, with some occasional mountain (or hill, this is Ohio here lol) runs. I'm doing the install myself, save for the alignment. Just hope I can get some of the bolts off underneath the car, lots of them are caked in rust. :(

One thing though, wouldn't the Megan coilovers replace the stock upper strut mounts? They did on my Evolution, and from the pictures I can see for the Cooper coilovers on vendor sites they appear to be the same. This was a big reason I'm leaning more towards the Megans instead of the Vmaxx.

In the meantime, I'll poke around and see what's worn and could use replacing off those parts mentioned below. But I'll likely be ordering the Megan coilovers with the Megan adj. rear control arms here soon. :Thumbsup:

10. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Yea Megans will be all bolt on. Camber plates and rear upper mounts are included. I just dont like their spring rates.

11. naucrx

naucrx New Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Haha yeah. I wish you'd waited a couple weeks to sell yours. I was drooling when I saw your post selling them. :drool

12. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I had some (albeit used) BCs on mine before I traded it in. I enjoyed having it slammed but definitely regretted it in Columbus. (lived in Gahanna 6 mo.s ago)

I should have just kept lowering springs and got some better shocks. Moral is unless you are trying to slam it below what springs will do, get springs and shocks for a worthwhile ride. Only advantage would be being able to lift the car back up for winter (which was possible with BC's due to their design.)

DO NOT get VMaxx's.. Just dont.

13. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I picked up some H&R street coilovers after installing them on a customers car.