ANOTHER FNG

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Nick5811, Sep 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, came over from NAM on the advice of Dr. Obnxs.

Had my MCS for about 3 weeks, and I've been working on her ever since. I'll be here looking for tips and info and ways to get the most enjoyment out of my new ride!

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard Nick. This is a good place to hang your lid, sit back and enjoy.

Jim

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    The Doctor always give good advice:Thumbsup: Welcome:D

Mark

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Howdy Nick, welcome to M/A.

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hay Nick...

glad to have you come by....

Matt

6. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  7. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone. I got a Mini key-chain and motoring hat for my birthday, so I'm pretty much all ready to go. I very much enjoy the motoring.

8. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Hi Nick and welcome!

9. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Ah yes......the modding has begun...........

10. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the forum.
    Start saving money because you will read about many great mods for your MINI.
    Once you start modding the car, the Mini will just gets better and better and more fun to drive. Modding is an addiction that is hard to stop.

11. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #11 Nick5811, Sep 27, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    Haha, yeah no kidding!

I come from working on chevy trucks, so this is my first little sports type car. I got it as a commuter car because gas in the Tahoe was killing me and I couldn't convince myself to buy a honda civic or *shudder* a prius or something like that. Besides, neither of those is supercharged. :p

This is also my first stickshift, so I'm trying not to burn out the clutch and I've only stalled it twice!

As far as mods go, I started with the taillights, tinting the windows, and some cheap-o "mods" I found on NAM (rear seat pulls, aux input, sunroof window shades), then I built the C/HAI with parts from Kragen and did the one-ball mod they talked about.

I've been trying to find some new tips like crazy, but the exhaust shops keep telling me there's no room and they have to do a lot of work to make any tips fit. I may upgrade to a magnaflow muffler in the future, but definitely not the $800 system

When I went to pick up the auto-up module, Dr. O suggested I install a 15% pulley which I was on the fence about. The dealership tech guy told me that people install them incorrectly and break their cars, and the supercharger is covered under the emissions warranty for 60 or 80k miles.

Then I was concerned because I read that introducing hot air to the supercharger will cause it to fail, but when I read Dr. O's article in MC^2 magazine where he said he runs the HAI on his car, I figured that whatever I did to mine couldn't be all that bad for it.

I've noticed that the ride is pretty stiff, and one of my BMW driving friends suggested non-run flat tires. Since I wanted to do rims just to make it look different than I bought it (they're not bad for stock rims), I think I may get some new rims and softer tires, then do a pulley and a rear anti sway bar. I find it hard to justify buying new rims and tires when the ones I have are practically new and there's no curb rash or any marks on the oem rims.

I've been looking all over craigslist and stuff trying to find a cheap set of rims so I could have my stock ones powder coated (maybe in OD green?).

Okay, well I'm rambling now, and I doubt many people are going to read another new guy thread, but hey, ya never know.

I'm in the Bay Area (South of SF) if anyone has recommendations for knowledgable mini shops in the area...

12. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OD green would be fine, but please don't do "camo". :nonod: :D

Jim

13. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah, no. Too difficult anyways, and I don't think camo and mini's really go together.

*slides the camo intake tube back into the box* *nervous laughter* he he he

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

Jim

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    FNG's always welcome!

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    X% pulley's are a pretty accepted mod with nice results for a R53. There are buttheads out there (just like any car brand). I'd circle back with Dr. O he should be able to point you in the right direction for the bay area

17. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Short list for beginning mods...

Power: Pulley.
    Braking: Tyrolsport bronze caliper busings.
    Handling: Camber plates, 19mm rear bar (camber plates first!)
    MUST GET: Good tires. Lighter wheels if you can (I bought cheap, TireRack specials.... I like the look OK, but the price for the weight savings was great!)
    Skills: TRACKTIME!!!!!!! In our area: Hooked on Driving for Thunderhill, Infineon and Laguna. Also Nor Cal Shelby Club (very welcoming, even with FWD cars!) There are lots of others, but these are good ones for the starter at track events. Also the local BMW CCA (Bay Area Chapter)

Then save a bunch of money for a head! (Or FES parts, but I have a vested interest there!)

I don't know a lot about shops... I do most of my own work! For alignment I use Custom Alignment in Mt View....

Matt

18. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    :D

Welcome aboard :Thumbsup:.

As you can see you'll find lots of friendly good advice here :idea:.

Mark

19. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Next up on my list, once I find a shop and the $$$ for the install

I think I saw these for like $60 per axle and thought that was a bit expensive for 4 small pieces of metal and some o rings...we'll see...

I was looking for cheap bars on craigslist and mini shops on these forums since talking to you last, but I don't know anything about camber plates. Is this before new wheels/tires?

How much do the stock rims weigh? I have the meshy-looking ones without the rivets on the lip (r90?). How much weight reduction is necessary/"worth it"? There are some rims that weigh 13 pounds but they are like $400/ea whereas a set that weighs 18 pounds each is like $450/whole set...where can I draw the line?

:ihih: Yeah? how much to do the pulley and motor mount? :ihih:

20. Nick5811

Nick5811 New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The original owner of my mini contacted me today after reading my post about the dealership on yelp!

He offered to give me the extra key for the car and answer my questions about it's history!

fwiw, he said he misses his old car. hahaha Pretty cool, I think.