1st Gen R53 Cooper S Another Turn Signal

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by LoLowe, Apr 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    #1 LoLowe, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    Ok here is one for the bright bulbs in the mini world I am pretty sure I have it figure out. But need some extra brain waves and thoughts. I have a '04 S that the right front bumper turn signal does not work when engine is running. With just the ignition on and right signal on works fine start engine and it quits working. With key on the hazards works fine, start engine bumper signal quits scuttle light works and rear light works at a normal speed.:mad2:
    Chased wires for bad spots, rubs, and wear spots in right side loom all good switched sockets and bulbs from left signal, still not working when engine is running. Now for my thoughts on what is wrong the Basic Module in the passenger compartment has a bad resistor or diode.
    Any and all thoughts help greatly appreciated.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Man you got me on that one. Have you changed the blub just to make sure it's not the proplem? What if the element is brok but touching so it works with the car off. When you crank it the vibration makes the element inside the bulb loss connection. I would replace the bulb and see what happens.
    Maybe some one will come along that can help more.

3. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Yep changed it out with the left side bulb and socket to just to make sure it wasn't in the that as well. It really has me scratching my head, but with the lack of good wiring schematics all you get to see is the fuses and basic module and turn signal switch in the Bentley book.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok just to keep to simple. Can you turn it on with blinker working then wiggle the socket and wiering to see if their is a short?
    I know this is not much help.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hummmmmm :idea:

Try double checking the fuses with a test light. Next clean the bulb sockets and replace the bulbs with new ones if they don't work in the other socket. If this is a pushin bulb make sure the tabs on the bulbs stick out a little so the can make good contact with the socket.

I also use a little dab of dielectric grease in the bulb sockets.

Also with the bulb out test the socket with a test light from the front and back of the socket. It could be a bad connection from socket to bulb or socket to the feed wire. Also make sure you also check the ground of the socket.

6. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Dave I replaced the socket and the plug with a new ones from mini was getting some other parts so I went ahead and got those new to eliminate them. Soldered them in no butt connectors hate those. I've taken the harness apart all the way to the fire wall looking for breaks or bad spots all good there so got the trusty volt meter out today and checked the wire coming out of the control module had power when key was on, when engine was started power dropped out of that wire. So long story short it is the resistor/diode so looks like 450.00 going out first of the month.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions..

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    This is a long shot but is the battery and alternator good? I only ask because you said the power drops when you start the car. This is a real odd problem.

8. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's weird but only on that one turn signal wire coming out of the body control module and the Bentley schematic for the control module shows that it has a resistor and a gated diode that controls each of the turn signals. So with the key on it, the resistor cuts the voltage down and it works properly, when the engine is running and alt. is charging it has more voltage and the bad resistor or the diode is failing. Was a pain to finally figure out because the schematics in the Bentley service book aren't that good but they are a lot better than some I have had to use in the past. The big problem is they don't show how the wiring runs to the turn signals after leaving the module just the module it's self and the inner workings of it, and the steering column switch.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You could always paint the turn signals black or not use them like drivers in New Jersey. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with your repair and let us know how it works out.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have always hated wiring problems. Your way past me and my simple mind. I really want to know how you fixed it when you get it figured out.

11. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    :biggrin5: Dave.O you to funny I was considering that but then it came due for the tags. So for a temp fix I have paralleled circuited the right front signal with rear signal. Will fix properly when the money is available for the body control unit but holy crap it is expensive. So all my mods will be put on hold again :cryin: unless I can find someone parting out a wrecked early '04 S or up to Oct. '04 S been looking at salvage yards locally but of course not many euro cars. ebay not any better and actually cost more than getting from the local Mini dealer.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well hey if you have a work around now just make it permanent.

13. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    I'm really considering doing that Dave. Checked the wire after leaving the signal on for 5 min and no melt down so i'm thinking it's good to go like it is. :fingerscrossed:

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    If you do this long term, I recommend that you switch one of the bulbs to LED, to reduce the current draw on the circuit. The control module drives each bulb on a separate circuit, and you're doubling the load. An LED bulb uses much less power and would be a good precaution to avoid overdriving the control module. Get a very bright LED bulb and check that it is visible in the daytime.

BTW, does your taillight have the "rear fog mod", which is a wire jumper that makes the rear fog (top bulb in the taillight) light up as an extra brake light? This mod is thought to cause failures in the control module.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Its just a turn signal not a running light, fog light or headlight. Its not on a constant draw so it will be fine.

16. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    It's not completely without risk. The 02-04 rear fog mod is for the brakes (not a constantly on light), and it seems to be correlated to BCM failures.

17. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The rear fog light mod is just silly IMO. That mod is just as stupid as the quick flashing third brake light mod.

I wish I could shoot them out every time I see them.

We are talking about a turn signal.

18. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I don't follow your point. The rear fog mod connects a second bulb to a circuit meant for one. The fix discussed here also connects a second bulb to a circuit meant for one. In both cases, they are not constantly on lights. It may indeed work fine (the rear fog mod didn't cause any problem for most people), but it isn't completely without some risk.

And why is the rear fog mod just silly? I can understand why it was a popular mod. The 02-04 brake lights are kinda wimpy.

19. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I like it when my rear brake lights don't work. That way the cops don't see me hit my brakes to make a quick turn to elude them! :devil:

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Because it is so low to the ground. Who are you really warning ants and squirrels?