2nd Gen JCW Anyone know how to DIY a smoke test?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by 05r50, Jun 2, 2012.

Tags:
  1. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Trying to track down some problems on my JCW and would like to re-create a smoke test that the dealer did.

WHile we are at it, what is this test used for and why would they have done it to begin with? I'm starting to wonder if they haven't gone down the rabbit hole and are looking for the wrong problem.

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    A smoke machine is pretty expensive, I'd just have a shop do it for you.

Basicly a smoke test fills the entire intake or exhaust system with smoke then you can watch and see where it comes out showing you where your leak is.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    What Way said ^

That said, in some cases I've DIY'd something close enough. Had some exhaust leaks in a spliced-together JCW exhaust with many crappy welds... took the exhaust off the car, plugged the ends, and shot my halloween fog machine though it... worked for that specific use case. Found and welded all the leaks.

:lol:

4. 05r50

05r50 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +697 / 0 / -0
    Way,

I agree with you. Basically my confusion is this: I call the plumber and tell him my shower is leaking. He comes to check things out and tells me that in order to remedy the situation, I need to paint the house. :eek6:

In my opinion, there is no cause and effect in the diagnosis the dealer has given me. Their direct response to me was "We don't care what code your scan tool gave you, we run our own diagnosis"

The codes I have had are;

P0001 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Open
    P0003 - Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit Low

Additionally, The tach screen is displaying "cc-id 029". Now I can't seem to find any authoritative publication that says what the 029 code is, but thanks to the internet the only result that comes up is HPFP failure.

Dealer recommendation is;
    replace belt because it shows wear
    transmission seal leak (No fluids on ground)
    oil pan seal leak (No fluids on ground)
    replace valve cover for crack because of failed smoke test (Not that I need a new gasket first, I need the gasket and the cover).

These may all be true. And they probably should be done. But can anyone see the connection between the posted codes and these responses? I sure don't. But I am not a MINI tech.