API - 20% of Bulk Oils Fail Performance Standards

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dave.0, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    FYI - Just another reason to buy your own quality oil. :idea:
    :Thumbsup:

API Reveals Nearly 20 Percent of Bulk Oils Fail Performance Standards

Bulk motor oil testing performed by the American Petroleum Institute (API) indicates many motorists may be receiving substandard motor oil when they drop their vehicles off for an oil change. According to the API, it purchased and tested over 1,000 samples from bulk motor oil tanks throughout North America over the past five years, and nearly 20 percent failed API performance standards.

“API is concerned about the high levels of failure we are finding in our audit results,†said Kevin Ferrick, API engine oil licensing and certification system manager. “API is sharing these audit findings with the public as part of its new ‘Motor Oil Matters’ program, which helps reduce the risk of consumers receiving oil that doesn’t meet their car’s performance requirements.â€

Consumers who have their oil changed at auto service centers often consider whatever house oil is being sold in bulk to be “good enough.†The recent statistics released by the API prove that, 20 percent of the time, that oil is not good enough. The API regularly conducts testing to ensure motor oils on the market are meeting minimum quality standards.

2. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Exactly why I change my own, I always figured they were probably using cheap crap for their "special" oil changes.

3. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    Dig that fecal matter.