April 10, 2011 - Streets of Willow Racing Noon to Night!

Discussion in 'Track Days & HPDE's' started by Redbeard, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    There will be big support from the SoCal MINI Maniacs at the event with EZ-Ups and a BBQ. You are welcome to spectate and just hang out but you are encouraged to run. If we get enough MINIs out there we can have a MINI challenge going again with trophies. If we get enough guy we can split into stock/light mod cars and heavy mod/race prepped categories for the trophies.

Timing is free for MINI drivers (so DON'T add it at checkout) and you will get a free Extremespeed t-shirt for signing up!

If you have any questions post'em-up and let me know. :Thumbsup:

2. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    BUMP! I know they have a Horsethief Mile Event the weekend before but this is a unique opportunity to run Streets at sunset! Plus it should be a MINI-filled event!

3. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Double bump for a MINI's at the track focused event. It should be AWESOME. Post up if you have questions.

4. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Bump with a discount code:

5. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Sad that no one is interested. :(

Only a few spots left. We only have 7 or 8 MINIs registered.

6. harripooner

harripooner New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I'm a muthafuqin' scientist
    Venice, ca
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A discount code? Damn it! Free T-Shirt? Damn it! Anyways, Had a blast, thanks for the ride along. It definitley got me int he 1:30's club with my blistering 1:39.89 (ok barely). I think some dedicated tires might be on my to do list.

7. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to see all you guys out there running hard. Didn't get to ride with the infamous "Redbeard" this event, but did get a couple sessions where I think he was chasing us... :eek6:

But never caught us? :devil:

Shall we stay tuned for the May event for a re-match? :ihih: (Sorry, forgot the member's screen name that I rode with yesterday). But, we had a blast. At least I did. Not sure if he's still the same. But, I am confident his times dropped. We did quite well, IMHO.

Good stuff! Bummer about the windscreen. But, it gives the car character.

I will try and get out and chase you around in my own car next event. Though the way you are lapping now, you would likely run me right down, as I have gone back to street tires. And as we all know, there is nothing more embarassing than a 500hp Mustang Cobra being passed by a stock Cooper. Hmmm. Maybe I will just sit and watch your sessions from the safety of the pit wall. :nonod:

8. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    When you were driving with Andrew I blew past ya (on a point-by) and didn't see you for the rest of the session. ;)

I actually was slower this time around at Streets. My best of the day was a 1:35.008. Personal best right now is a 1:34.6XX.

I'm not sure what it was but that section after the bowl and straight ("blind" esses) seemed REALLY slippery. I ended backing-off a bit because of my back-end sliding. I almost dropped a wheel off sliding out at the left-hand bend just before the downshift and hard left.

9. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you don't have video of the pass, it didn't happen! Hahaa

I didn't notice it being any more slippery than usual, but I didn't have my hands on the controls.

Most people lift or brake going into the S's, which is what we were working on. Once you are over the blind hump people get in trouble by "over driving" te section, upsetting the balance.

If brave and on the correct line, you can go straight through the entry all the way down to the slight left without steering input. No brakes 'till you are straight and deep into it just before that sharp left at the bottom.

But it takes confidence + a big set of stones!

I never got to see your line... You have any vids to post up?

10. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #10 Brakelate, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
    Argh.

11. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I don't need vids. I have a website with timing results... :ihih:

You taught me to go balls out on that. :devil: I was running top end of 4th gear foot on the floor into the "slight left". It was as I gave my input for that slight left the rear got WAY unloaded and I almost spun. So the next few times I gave it a halfway lift just before the bend and it stuck just fine. It might be my tires. They are street tires and have seen a pile of track days. They may be getting heat cycled out.

I'm never gonna hit a track 100% so long as I have to drive my car home after the event. There are a few spots that I would like to run a bit harder but it's just not a good call in my DD. Gotta balance that out each time I hit the track.

BTW, I regged on SoCalTerminators. Just waiting on Admin approval. :Thumbsup:

12. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I completely understand. We all leave something on the table unless wanting to go home on a flatbed or gurney.

Yup, tricky section. .500 a lap or so variance on different dates is good for a street car. Most don't get that from session to session!

I'll urge the Admin to process you ASAP since you sound spicy enough to fit in there Lol.

Posting from Crackberry, so forgive the double posts (can't delete?) and such.

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    No one shot any vids?

14. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I tried but the files on the SD card were corrupt...

15. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #15 Brakelate, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Not Mini - but here is some stuff shot in my car, if you are interested in seeing what the action looked like. I had a ride-along, and we had a 427 Cobra spin in front of us. :crazy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/Tetge#p/a/u/1/VY5pZ7TgKB0]YouTube - Tetge's Channel[/ame]

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Good vid. Thanks. The cones at the back of turn one were weird. I've never seen anyone lay them out like that before.

17. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I was directly behind you in the Evo when the 427 Cobra spun. LOL.

The cones were out there as part of the racing school. We split the track with them for the first part of the day.

18. Batrugger

Batrugger New Member

May 13, 2009
    Soldier
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    #18 Batrugger, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    This is my favorite part of SOW when it is CW/w the bowl. Before going into the S's, line yourself up with the white tower off in the distance as you come up the blind hump and you will be perfectly lined up to shoot straight through the S's and then brake brake hard after the last S to slow enough to take the hard left. It is truly a white knuckler, but a lot of fun.

19. Brakelate

Brakelate New Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh really? How funny. I was watching my mirrors, worried someone might run up on me while I slowed to clear the spin.

You see me fighting my way around? I have the fattest, yet most useless pair of rear tires ever! Lol!

20. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I didn't want to say anything, but in the video it does look like the car is pushing pretty badly in the turns.