Entertainment Electronics 1st Gen AUX input in empty switch

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by lucas0292, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. lucas0292

lucas0292 New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I installed an auxiliary input jack in my car stereo awhile back and got tired of the wire just dangling loosely underneath the glove box. I also happen to have a blank switch spot (lacking rear fog lights) so I got a crazy idea..

I will do a DIY with more pics if there's enough interest.

Attached Files:

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nice job but your pictures are upsidedown.

Never mind they are right side up when you open them. Nice clean install.:Thumbsup:

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That is quite an inventive spot to place the jack.

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    looks good, great spot to place it

5. ChrisMCS04

ChrisMCS04 New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Looks nice. I would be interested in a write up. I got the gist, would just be nice to see how you did it.

6. sethat46

sethat46 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Financial Sales
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I was wanting to do this. DIY instructions would be awesome

7. lucas0292

lucas0292 New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for the late reply, I don't have any pictures during the process, but I can describe them.

First off, you need to access the back of the head unit to plug in the Aux cable. There's an in-depth write up on mini2 or something. I just googled it.

While you're at it, you can remove the switch panel and unplug the wire harness so you can take it apart. There are 6 (I think) clips holding the face to the box, carefully remove them with a tiny flathead or knife.

Once it is off, you can drill a hole in the empty slot. I think it's a 10mm, or a 3/8in. will work. Big enough for the threaded part to go through, but not big enough for the wire to pull out of the box.

Now it gets tricky. You will need to cut a slit for the wire in the back of the box so the wire fits inside, not hanging down. I used the same drill bit and drilled several holes and then filed it smooth. My tool set is limited haha.

NOTE: While you're removing the face and taking apart the switch box, be careful not to lose any of the little white things inside there, they are what make the switch hit the top and bottom buttons. Make sure they don't get crooked either, or else your switches won't work properly.

You have two options to make this go more smoothly than it did for me:
    1) Do everything with the wire and switch panel FIRST, then feed the wire backwards up to the back of the head unit, THEN put everything back together.

2) The opposite of 1), Start at the top, work your way down.

I did mine in different phases, multiple taking aparts and putting back togethers, and I ended up with my wire through the back of the switch panel, but under the bottom brace that holds up the panel. It's not noticeable, but it bothers me only because I know it's there and I could've done it better. Next time I have a reason to take it all apart again, though, I will rewire it.

When your wire is all fed through, I'll admit, it's kind of a tight fit, put everything back together in reverse order and you're set!