B-spec Racers: Honda Fit vs. Kia Rio 5, Mazda 2, Mini Cooper Hatchback

Discussion in 'B-Spec MINI' started by Nathan, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Car & Driver just published on of their famous comparison tests, this time using the B-Spec Racers.

B Season: Testing a swarm of SCCA-Spec B-segment racers in search of the queen.

On the list of mankind’s vital pursuits, racing ranks with procreation, fine dining, and the consumption of refreshing beverages. Speed is fundamental to any human’s spiritual well-being. So, when the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) tempted us with a new easy-entry B-Spec road-racing category, primal urges drove us to find out which of the four cars gathered here offers the quickest path to enlightenment.

We’ve trod this road before. Forty years ago, when the SCCA invented Showroom Stock sedan racing, Car and Driver took the bait. Within seven years, two editors had ascended the speed ladder to compete at the 24 Hours of  Daytona. Patrick Bedard, C/D’s quickest shoe, accelerated from squalling econoboxes to Indy cars in a decade.

Read the full article on the Car & Driver site.

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Nice article.

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Ha! Looks like the Kia's will have significant hurdles to entry. Never liked those cars or their Grand-Am drivers, always crashing MINIs...

4. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Tell me about it!! :mad5:

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It seems to me that Kia is already lobbying the SCCA for a larger restricter. Love the BS about their car not running on the specified restricter so we put a larger one in so we could run the car, I call BS. The series has not really started & they are already going for the unfair advantage.

Looks to me like it may be some good close racing. Here's hoping the MINI teams do well. :Thumbsup:

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ahhhh, so where is the missing elephant that doesn't seem to be in the room? The Fiat 500 doesn't qualify??

7. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, what's the point of showing up with a car that's way too light and notably more powerful than allowed? Oh, and despite being the fastest, NOBODY from C&D picked it as the car they'd want to drive.

Metalman, the 500 does qualify... there just wasn't anyone willing to give up their B-Spec 500 for this test. The Yaris, Versa, and Fiesta also qualify for this series. Hopefully, we get some of all of them at the races.

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I hope they get some TV coverage.........

9. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The good news for B-Spec is that the race (at least the first one in Miami) is on Sunday, the same day as the Rolex race. Compared to being before the Continental tire race, the exposure will be much higher.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Fans in the stands are nice, but TV would be sweet.

11. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Agreed. I was just saying (vaguely), that being the same day as Rolex might get them a little coverage during Rolex telecasts and also greatly increase the interest... which improves the chances of TV coverage.

At the very least, I'll be posting to my company FB page live from the race. Not that that's anything like watching it on TV :D