Back to the MINI world

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by markertoo, May 5, 2015.

Tags:
  1. markertoo

markertoo New Member

May 5, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just purchased my second MINI, a 2003 Cooper S, now named Tripp. My wife got us hooked first, when we purchased her 2002 Cooper (Lola) close to 10 years ago now. I loved her car's dynamics, so I bought a Cooper S (Ditto) for myself. I used my car for autocrosses and track days, running it fairly stock for the first bit, and then with coilovers and mainly suspension mods.

Well, the short story is Ditto saved my life. I had a transport truck pull off of the shoulder into my path. He was doing possibly 5-10mph, and I was travelling at approximately 75mph. I swerved, but just caught the RR of the trailer with my left headlight.

Even with the incredible strength of the car, I broke a lot. Ankle, leg, knee, arm, wrist, neck and back. I was flat on my back for 2 weeks, in a wheelchair for almost 8 months, and have issues 'til today.

I firmly believe that my car saved my life.

Since my wife had always wanted a convertible, I tracked down a Chili Red convertible, and we bought it (Lucy), after driving about 400 miles to the dealer that had it, and drove back home that same day. THAT was a long drive.

And now, I have just gotten back into MINI ownership, by buying a Cooper S with some interesting options. No sunroof and cloth interior on a Cooper S, which is pretty rare.

So, I had forgotten just how much fun it was to drive a MINI, and while I won't be driving my own car much, I am very glad to have it. I have already put some good summer tires on it, and I would like to do the occasional autocross, and just have a fun car for street use.

Thanks, and glad to be here (both here at the MA, and alive. :) )

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

That has been quite the adventure.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! and the living!

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome back!

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome back to M/A! It just goes to show that ya cannot keep good people away for long.:Thumbsup:

6. markertoo

markertoo New Member

May 5, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, thank you all. I am happy to be back into MINI ownership, and while I am not likely to mod mine too much, I will make it a fun one.

I have some BMWs that are screaming for attention, and will see most of the track time, leaving the Cooper S as my more street car driver.

Yes, it has been a bit of an adventure. But, I am lucky to be vertical, and on the right side of the grass. There are people way worse off than I am, so I try to not whine too much. :)

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Back!

8. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Welcome back to MINIs and our little fun corner of the interweb!