Bad Karma

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by goaljnky, Mar 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Bad Karma: Our Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid breaks down - Yahoo! Autos

Bad Karma: Our Fisker Karma plug-in hybrid breaks down

[​IMG]

Our Fisker Karma cost us $107,850. It is super sleek, high-tech—and now it’s broken.

We have owned our car for just a few days; it has less than 200 miles on its odometer. While doing speedometer calibration runs on our test track (a procedure we do for every test car before putting it in service by driving the car at a constant 65 mph between two measured points), the dashboard flashed a message and sounded a “bing“ showing a major fault. Our technician got the car off the track and put it into Park to go through the owner’s manual to interpret the warning. At that point, the transmission went into Neutral and wouldn’t engage any gear through its electronic shifter except Park and Neutral.

[​IMG]We let the car sit for about an hour and restarted it. We could now engage Drive and the same error message disappeared. After moving it only a few feet the error message reappeared and when we tried to engage Reverse the transmission went straight to Park and again no motion gear could be engaged. After calling the dealer, which is about 100 miles away, they promptly sent a flatbed tow truck to haul away the disabled Fisker.

We buy about 80 cars a year and this is the first time in memory that we have had a car that is undriveable before it has finished our check-in process.

Building an all-new car company from the ground up is a monumental challenge, especially for a car with innovative drivetrain technology like the Karma. Designing, engineering, certification, manufacturing, and distributing an all-new car pose giant hurtles for a start-up company.

We encountered other problems with a Karma press car that visited the track for a few hours, and we have heard of problems at press events. In addition, we see that some owners are experiencing a variety of issues, as evidenced by forums such as FiskerBuzz.com.

When we get the car back, we’ll film a First Drive video with our more traditional initial impressions. But so far, Fisker ownership is proving to be a bumpy ride.

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It's a little known extra cost option..... "LA Car Jacker", a sub set of the Fisker anti theft device..... Available as a plugin module....:D

3. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    They call them APPS on this mobile "smart" phone... :biggrin5:

4. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Not a comment about that Fisker from me.....

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Nope .....nothing from me either

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Got nothing here either....

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: my (conservative:lol::frown2:) lips are sealed.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    FISKER is now a verb.

The new auto industry term for overpromising and then underdelivering, as in, "They promised the moon and the stars with that product program and then they Fiskered it up. Now it's too heavy, too slow and it costs too much money."

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Saw a Fisker Karma yesterday on Riverside Drive. Nice shiny black beauty, a real looker. Nice looking car me thinks. At 100K I won't be buying one.

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ....and we the people get the shaft because an over sized, over bloated Government led by an over confident, under qualified leadership decided to give a loan to them....

11. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Right on minimark!!

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well Justin Bieber has an all chrome one so I see no reason to know anything about that car.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I don't want to sound mean, but that was a wonderful event. Just the cars not the storm. Fricassee Fisker. :ihih:

15. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well, I think they can safely add "avoid the vehicle being submerged in salt water" to their warning stickers without taking a hit in sales. After all, I don't think any car manufacturer touts salt water submerging survival as a feature.

16. Herleman

Herleman New Member

May 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I have a neighbor who owns one.

He wishes he didn't.

But he only paid $97K for his.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Henrik Fisker resigns as executive chairman of Fisker Automotive

Henrik Fisker, founder and executive chairman of struggling plug-in hybrid vehicle maker Fisker Automotive, has resigned.

In an e-mail today to Automotive News, Fisker wrote: "The main reasons for his resignation are several major disagreements that Henrik Fisker has with the Fisker Automotive executive management on the business strategy."

Fisker confirmed his resignation in a phone interview and declined to comment further.

Tony Posawatz, who became president and CEO of the company in August, said this morning that he had just been made aware of the resignation. Posawatz previously was vehicle line director for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid.

Asked how the company was faring, Posawatz said, "We're in the midst of some serious negotiating."

News reports last month said that a Chinese holding group, Zhejiang Geely, which owns Volvo, leads the bidding to take over Fisker Automotive.

Fisker Automotive has been seeking capital to launch its second vehicle, the Atlantic, after a $529 million federal Advanced Vehicle Technology Loan was put on hold because of slow sales.

19. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: No comment. Political posts aren't allowed. I'm back on the straight and narrow.:frown2::frown2::lol::lol:

Jason

20. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ Bet that was hard to do? :wink:

Geely Karma soon on sale at Wallyworld. :ihih: