1st Gen R50 Cooper Belt squeal noise/clutch squeal noise?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Different Computers, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Different Computers

Different Computers New Member

Apr 7, 2014
    Mac Guy
    Troy, VA
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I have a noise that's worrying. Either minor or huge, hell if I know.

The problem is, I can't ever reproduce it reliably, nor can I tell when it will happen. Or even if it's ONE noise or TWO noises that sound really similar.

The noise(s) sound just like serpentine belt squeal. First thing I did when I got Black Top was get the worn and cracked belt replaced. They also found the tensioner was shot and replaced that. Now that was literally the first place the car went after I bought it, so I've never driven it (except for the test drive) without the new belt.
    Sometimes the noise lasts for 3 seconds. Sometimes it lasts for 15! Most of the time it doesn't happen at all.

Odds are better the belt scream noise will happen:

On first, cold start of the engine. But not *instantly* on start, usually.
    In cooler weather.
    When the AC is on.
    Without the clutch being depressed or the car being in gear.

But neither of these are reliable gauges. Sometimes it screams all of a sudden while running! But that's rare. Never happens at speeds >30 MPH though.

Then there's the other occasion, the one that sounds the same but of much less duration: When I let off the clutch after coasting in neutral for a bit, usually to go into 2nd gear. I also can't make this happen reliably, but it NEVER happens shifting into 4th or 5th, unless the car is perhaps too noisy for me to hear it at those speeds. This noise is much more of a quick squeak, one that ends the moment the new gear is fully engaged. But that quick squeak really sounds just like the longer belt scream noise.

Is there some reason putting the engine under load from changing gears would cause belt squeak? Or do I likely have a clutch problem? It's a NEW clutch, with under 4K miles on it. And the Midlands transmission was reconditioned when the clutch was replaced.

Many thanks for your insights.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    If the tensioner was worn out the odds are very good the idler pulley is worn out too. That may be it, but I'm just guessing.

When my tensioner, crank damper, belt & idler were replaced the idler sounded like gravel when it was spun.

Not sure if the belt setup on your R50 is different from my R53.

3. daviday

daviday Active Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    There's two different part numbers for the belt. One is slightly longer and would cause the issues you described if installed.