Recipes Best oven roasted ribs, ever

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DneprDave, Sep 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #1 DneprDave, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
    I made these last night.

I found the recipe in USA today magazine about ten years ago and I make these ribs a lot!

I substitute one teaspoon of cayanne pepper for one of the teaspoons of paprika. I also don't put barbecue sauce on them, they are great without it.

Yum!

Dave

------------

Best oven roasted ribs, ever

Ingredients
    1. 6 tablespoons light brown sugar or 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    2. 6 tablespoons paprika
    3. 3 tablespoons black pepper
    4. 3 tablespoons garlic powder
    5. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus some for seasoning
    6. 9 tablespoons Dijon mustard or 9 tablespoons yellow mustard
    7. 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
    8. 3 pork sparerib racks (remove thin membrane on back of bones with paper towel) or 4 baby back rib racks ( remove thin membrane on back of bones with paper towel)
    9. your favorite barbecue sauce
    Directions
    1. Adjust one oven rack to low position, remove remaining oven rack, and heat oven to 250°.
    2. Mix a dry rub of the sugar, paprika, pepper, garlic powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in a small bowl.
    3. Mix mustard and liquid smoke in another bowl.
    4. Lay ribs directly on removed oven rack and lightly sprinkle with salt.
    5. Brush both sides of slab with mustard mix and then sprinkle both sides with dry rub.
    6. Line jelly roll pan with a large sheet of heavy duty foil, extending foil so it covers oven rack.
    7. Slide rack with ribs into upper-middle position and place foil lined pan on lower oven rack, making sure that foil covers rack.
    8. Bake/roast ribs until fork-tender, 2-3 hours for spareribs and 1 1/2 hours-2 hours for baby back ribs.
    9. If coating ribs with barbecue sauce, remove foil lined jelly roll pan from oven and pour off excess fat.
    10. Transfer ribs to foil lined pan meat side up.
    11. Turn on broiler and brush ribs with sauce and broil until bubbly but not burned.
    12. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
    This is from “CookSmart†by Pam Anderson

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    They are good. I have been cooking them that very same way for several years now. Never fails and they fall off the bone. I have adjusted in ingredients to taste. :Thumbsup:

Jim

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I just might have to try this.

Have you tried it with the Dijon vs. regular mustard? Trying to decide which I'd prefer.

Other than leaving off the barbeque sauce (Dave), any other adjustments either of you have made that you think improve the recipe?

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I prefer the Southern style where you cook them basted with BBQ sauce, but each section of the country has its on method for BBQ. The ingredients listed are mainly for the rub, so adjust to taste. The secret of this is how you cook them. You cover the pan tightly with foil and slow cook them. Sometimes I use the boneless, country cut ribs, which are thick. I find that 300 degrees for three hours (four is fine) is just right.

Jim

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I cook them just as the recipe states, 250F for about three hours only I put them on a rack set on a foil covered baking pan. Low and slow make for tender meat!

I try a lot of different mustards, but I use regular yellow mustard the most.

I've made them in a wood fired smoker/barbecue, I leave the liquid smoke out of the recipe in that case.

Dave

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Sounds Great. I think that I'll try Coleman's Hot mustard. :Thumbsup:

Jason