Exterior 1st Gen Bike Roof Rack

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Soap, May 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    CFO of Elgersma Inc, my 8month old is the CEO!
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am getting a new bike that I want to haul around on the mini. I have looked at some of the different roof racks and cant really decide.:confused5: I was wondering if my fellow mini owners had any reviews and advice on the roof racks that they have had or have on their beloved mini. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    Bike racks (especially with a bicycle on it) create excessive drag and high wind noise. Roof damage from a bike slipping while being mounted and from low overhead clearances are common.

Unless you are providing race support, it's best to either carry your bike inside your MINI (the safest place, and one of the reasons I bought a Clubman... extra space), or out of the airstream on a rack on the back (either a hanging rack or a receiver-hitch rack).

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What year is your car? It makes a big difference as to what rack or whether a rack will even work with your car.

4. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have an 03 justa. The only thing that I would be worried about clearance wise is the moonroof openening and closing.

Getting a different mini is out of the question. I have alot of experience with roof racks on different types of cars and have no problem putting them on without scratching either the bike or the car.

I havent been able to a bike rack works with the rear spoiler on the car either. I have also heard many horror stories of these racks failing and just falling of the back of cars! :eek6::eek6:

As for the drag I am not worried as i dont drive the car vross vountry or for extended long hauls. Its the grocery getter and around town car. Drag is the last thing that I am worried about.

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My understanding is the only roof racks that will work on 1st gen cars are the factory ones. You have to drill holes in the roof for the attachments and it comes with some caps to cover the attaching post when the rack is off. My buddy has it on his 2006 and loves it, you hardly notice the caps as they only sit up a little.

Other than that you're talking a hitch and a hitch mounted rack.

6. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    Yakima makes a Q-Tower rack for the Gen. 1.

7. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    For the Q-mount Yakima, send me the outside width of your moon roof, and I'll see if the mount feet will have room; no problem with height or spoiler clearance.

I've not experienced or heard of a Yakima Q-mount roof rack failing.

The majority of the time I transport my roadbike in the cabin, on its side, with the front wheel removed.

8. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have Thule racks for my 06 MCS. They work great, and I have the ski and bike attachments. I like the Aero bars; they're quieter and the silver color looks good. With skis on, you can't open the trunk. I haven't had the bike on there in a while, don't remember any trunk interference.

9. DixonL2

DixonL2 New Member

May 4, 2009
    Supply Chain Implementation Guy
    A bit north of the 'burgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    Rear trailer hitch (MiniDoMore is less expensive at about $200, or Mini Fini) and rear 1 1/4" hitch (craigslist $50-$100) and you're not touching paint anywhere, and the bike's easy to load.

The old Barrecrafters roof rails I have still work, but can "oilcan" the roof (small dents) if you use 'em a lot or tighten 'em too much. I've seen Thule and Yak racks that'll also fit, but you need clips that clear the windows in front..

10. Soap

Soap New Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help guys. Now it is just a matter of actually pulling the trigger on a setup.

I like the Thule aerobar setup, but they arent cheap. Yakima makes apretty good setup as well, for not a bad price either. Then again I could keep looking on craigslist.

I like the idea of the hitch as well because of price, paint, and when I dont need it my mini still looks stock!

Again, thanks for the help when I decide I will post pictures of the before and after of install of whatever I choose.

11. RoadRoar

RoadRoar New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 5, 2009
    Design and product development, also general busin
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Many folks have called wanting me to develop a roof rack system for the Minis, and I know a way to do it that will not reqiuire drilling holes in the roof. If I get some great response
    I"ll get to it but I'm already working on several new development projects for MiniFini and Group 4.