1st Gen R53 Cooper S Body Control Module or something else?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by flyiingsparrow, Nov 2, 2012.

1. flyiingsparrow

flyiingsparrow New Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Student
    Detroit, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just posted in the starting line about getting my car, but about a week in a half to two weeks ago Darko has developed some symptoms...

My boyfriend and I are looking it over tomorrow I believe, and we think it is the body control module doing this.. but about everyday now, my blinkers don't always "activate" even if I click the lever down or up none of the lights come on. Other times they come on, but then as soon as it clicks when you go back to the "straight" position of the steering wheel the lights on the cluster are still on but the blinkers are no longer on. Now, just past these couple of days when I turn off my car the taillights stay on and my car will not lock. I have to do a bunch of random stuff to see what will turn the taillights off and then my car will lock. AND my cluster lights do not always turn on with the headlights (this has only happened a couple times after the blinker issue started, and they usually turn on within 5 minutes of driving the car.) Also when my blinkers don't work, usually my seatbelt light chimes then just stays on but no longer chimes at me.

I do work at Waterway (it's a car wash) and so I get free car washes every week and they do the underspray. Could that have possibly gotten the BCM wet and may have started corroding it?

Is there anything else that would cause all of this to happen?

Tracey

2. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    How old is the battery? Even if it still starts the car, a dying battery can manifest itself as a lot of strange electrical goings on.

You should put the year and model of your MINI in your signature, it helps with diagnosing model specific problems.

Dave

3. flyiingsparrow

Jun 25, 2012
    Student
    Detroit, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's a 2005 MCS.

The battery got replaced in Dec/Jan.

4. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Have you EVEN LOOKED at the BCM to see if it is wet/damp or has corrosion on the plug?
    You speculate it MIGHT..so look!!
    It COULD be something as simple as a loose plug from a passenger kicking it or something along those lines...but you have to LOOK at something first to rule it out.
    look for water stains, corrosion, etc.
    While looking..look at as much of the wiring harness as you can see...look for splices from a prior owner trying to add driving lights, etc, or a chafe point where it has been rubbing on a edge that has cut a wire...
    Part of troubleshooting is being a detective...and IMO you rule out the simple/Cheap stuff first....then when you rule that out..it is time to get help before throwing parts at it that may/may-not fix a item.

5. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    These are all symptoms of a battery going bad, steering wheel/washer arm/turn signal arm assembly going bad, or a BCM issue.

I would start with getting a new battery (if you have the original battery) as it woyuld be the most likely problem and they don't tend to last that long.

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Hope you get it figured out. Couple weeks ago my car started acting strangely also. First my hard wired radar detector started acting up, unhooked it, but then when I put the key in the second position, my wipers started up, and I was getting weird dash lighting. Checked the battery right off, like said in above posts, low batt causes many problems. But then it wouldn't even start :confused5: Fears of BCM, wiring harness......? Towed it to my mechanic, he started checking, installed a known good battery, no go :( Started checking stuff.....turns out, it was a bad ignition switch! Who knew all that is interconnected and sensitive? Good luck :Thumbsup:

7. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi. Check for water in the battery box as one of your possible causes. Bad news when that thing gets wet.

Other folks have posted about crazy stuff after wash too. Looks similar to your symptoms.

And this thread has similar symptoms, but cause is from a PS pump problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

8. flyiingsparrow

Jun 25, 2012
    Student
    Detroit, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Easy on the caps lock man. Haha.

Darko decided to be good this weekend because Alec was in town and drove him most of the weekend.

Turns out the blinkers still turn on, they just don't turn on in the cluster.

Plus, Alec did some research on it while I was at work and he said one of the most common symptoms of the BCM is the taillights staying on AFTER the lights and car are completely off.. And I couldn't even lock my doors when this was happening.

The battery was replaced in January.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    While the battery was recently replaced I'd still test it's output just to move that completely off the table.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    ^what he said.......:biggrin5:

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    One feature that some folks forget about is the "follow me home" feature that the headlights are supposed to stay on for a couple minutes after shutdown.....if i recall tight, you flip the light stalk after shutdown, and they are supposed to stay on a bit to light the walkway....was a dealer option that could be programed if i remember right...sometimes people think something is broken when the lights stay on a bit.....
    Another thing too look at...
    the window/lock switches....any spills lately?
    I remember getting some crazy things happen when i installed a auto window up switch/circurt board then unpluged it, and replugged it in....wonder if the plug for the switches is dirty/loose, etc....ecerything is so interconnected with the cars data buss, something seemingly unrelated can make a big differance.

12. flyiingsparrow

Jun 25, 2012
    Student
    Detroit, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not the follow me home feature. I know what that is and ONLY the taillights stay on. With follow me home the headlights stay on. I am acknowledgeable enough on cars to know what that is.

No spills. I don't allow open drinks in my car plus I keep my car clean.
    No aftermarket stuff.

Anyway, it stopped doing it. Then I decided to send it through one more time to "test" it out.. and it is the wash doing it.

13. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    It's worth checking but unfortunately it's easier said than done. There is no access panel on the passenger side and it's a bit of work to detach the long trim piece that extends from the footwell to the rear of the door sill: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/13/04

Do you have a sunroof? It's more likely for clogged drain tubes to cause moisture in that area than underbody spray.

14. flyiingsparrow

Jun 25, 2012
    Student
    Detroit, MI
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I washed it at like a self-wash place the other week and it had stopped doing it before I did this. And it hadn't done anything til I washed it at work this week.

But yes I have a sunroof.

Yeah, I haven't looked because my boyfriend and I didn't have much time to mess around with it. I'll check it out over thanksgiving break.