Book Review :: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Discussion in 'Collectables' started by Nathan, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
    I've been spending way too much time in front of these screens lately and needed a break. Recently I needed a book and when I picked that book up on the Sale table I walked by was The Art of Racing in the Rain. I had seen it Starbucks when it was first published and was curious, but since I have some odd sense of values I don't buy books at a coffee shop.

Since I've been right busy as of late I figured The Art of Racing in the Rain would collect some dust for a bit then I'd get around to reading it. A bucket list book if you will. Then came this overwhelming desire to get away from the monitors glare for a time. A quick trip to the tropical fish store was planned. Then I looked at the clock, 5PM, Um, yeah, traffic is gonna be hellish, it can wait, so I picked up the book.

I'll cut to the chase...the last page was turned a few hours later.

I almost never read a book of this size from cover to cover in one sitting. The Art of Racing in the Rain is compelling enough that I did. Now I have to say I am usually one very reserved individual that does not show emotion. Unlike Shakespeare's Iago in Othello I certainly do not wear my heart upon my sleeve but in a very rare moment this book touched something within me.

The Art of Racing in the Rain tells the story of Denny Swift from the point of view of his dog, the aptly named Enzo. There is something very odd about this book. Normally a tome dripping with treacle as this one is would be discarded by me in a few pages. The foreshadowing makes it so very easy to see where the story is headed, predicting the ending in my head was easy to do. However, instead of tossing this book aside something in pulled me in and kept me turning page after page and reaching parts of me that I suppressed years ago.

The writing is not great, there are a lot of wasted words almost as if this some sort of assignment that must be X number of words. Characters we not that well developed, there were a bit to many cliches and shocking plot twists. Yet something kept pulling at me to turn another page..and another...and another.

I'm glad I read The Art of Racing in the Rain and even with its flaws I'd recommend reading it.

2. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I agree with your review whole-heartedly Nate!

I've read quite a few books in my time (having a degree in literature) and while there were basic flaws with the writing, plot, and character development...it IS a page turner.

I think what makes this book so compelling is the narrative.. I have never read a book from a Dog's perspective and being a new puppy owner, found it quite appealing. I did read the book in about 4 sittings.. but it's the kind of book that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I'm intrigued! I'll pick up a copy. Thanks for the review.

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I have heard many good things about this book, and have been meaning to get a copy. If it was written from our Labs POV, it would be all about food:lol:.

Mark

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    WHAT PETS WRITE IN THEIR DIARIES.......
    Excerpts from a Dog's Diary......
    [​IMG]

8:00 am-Dog food! My favorite thing!
    9:30 am-A car ride! My favorite thing!
    9:40 am-A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
    10:30 am-Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
    12:00 pm-Lunch! My favorite thing!
    1:00 pm-Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
    3:00 pm-Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
    5:00 pm-Milk Bones! My favorite thing!
    7:00 pm-Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
    8:00 pm-Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
    11:00 pm-Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

Excerpts from a Cat's Daily Diary...

[​IMG]]

Day 983 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.

Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a 'good little hunter' I am. Bastards.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of 'allergies.' I must learn what this means and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges.. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded.

The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicating with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe.. For now.................

6. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Have a paperback of it coming from Amazon. Got it for $8.99:D

Mark

7. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:This was great.See the :Thumbsup:and :cornut: above for where I added my Shtick. Jason

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I concur completely.....

I bought my copy a few months ago, and have reread it several times since, wonderful story....

9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    OK I'll bite...:arf: and order a copy tommorrow!!

10. kelly girl

kelly girl New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    has nothing to do with my MINI :( -- but at least
    in a nuclear fallout bunker, complete with bottle
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    i'm usually reading 2-4 books at a time.. if anyone has suggestions PM me for sure!

11. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's funny that you post this... in a recent DE that I was at they recommended this book. They even had a couple of copies they gave away.

12. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I listened to the book on CD during a long trip. It was a good book to listen to during the drive.

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Our copy came. Only read a few pages last night. How come no one mentioned an old sick dog:cryin:.

Mark

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Great book!!:Thumbsup::Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    It's OK, it has a good ending....but you're right, I told my wife how it starts and now she won't even open it.

16. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Yea sense our girl has the same problem, the first chapter was a kick in the gut, but in the end, well worth it..

17. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Finished the book last week.
    I completely agree with the above remarks, Nathan.
    I though it was OK.

Story aside, the most interesting thing for me was Denny's technique of purposely breaking the rear loose in order to anticipate the correction before things happen (while racing in the rain).