1st Gen R53 Cooper S Boost Readings

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by wzabrouski, Mar 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I installed a prosport boost gauge yesterday and was wondering about the max boost I should be seeing with a rmw tune, newman cam, 17% pulley, intake and exhaust. I think my max reading at full throttle was 11/12lbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Boost Reading

:Thumbsup:This should be about right. I have the 'Scan Gauge II' on my R56 MCS JCW (Turbo not Super) still set on MAP and in overboost (3rd gear,pedal to the floor,sport button on) I have attained 30psi briefly which is roughly(30-14.7=15.3 depending upon altitude) 15psi. The r53s don't achieve quite as much boost as the turbo R56 in overboost. So that should be correct. :cornut: Jason

3. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Spoke with Jan from RMW today and he stated I should be around 16 or 17?

4. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Just went for a ride. About 14.5 psi

5. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Boost Reading

:Thumbsup: Great! It's gettin up der. Me , I'd be happy. The most important part of the equation is , how does it feel/sound/perform to your heart/seat of the pants gauge ? Does she run and purr or run and growl ?:cornut: Jason

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    We should try not really compare an R56 turbo Minis boost to a MCS R53 Super Charged. Your boost does seem slightly low. Things to consider the cause: a belt slipping, BPV not closing completely,the ic boots are not sealing under pressure,if it is an after market IC this may be inherent for some to have a lower total psi value, the cam was not ground correctly or installed wrong (check cylinder compression) the AFR's are wrong, that's is all I can think of with the information you supplied. You should at least be at 15+psi.@5500rpm under load. Remember also that the size of SC pulley does not mean the boost attained. i.e. 19% pulley does not mean 19psi boost. Also if you engine is efficient it will not necessarily be a high boost to be at a improved power level. You would have had a dyno comparison for that conclusion though.

7. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    It runs great. I was not sure what reading I should be seeing on the gauge.

8. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Check the vacuum lines under the IC too. My car had been running fine after I installed a boost gauge, or so it seemed. I noticed my boost was peaking at about 11psi (15% pulley) so I pulled the IC to check the lines and sure enough there was a line under the IC that had somehow come off. Max boost went right back to about 15psi where it should be.

On your car there is a hard vacuum line that goes from underneath the left (PS) horn to the regulator on the fuel rail under the IC. Check both ends to make sure they are connected.

9. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Swapped out the BPV with a DT unit, checked all lines and put back stock IC boots. Still around 14.5/15? I noticed I have a small exhaust leak this evening, would that effect boost?

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Boost Reading

:frown2:No. Exhaust leak(only) shouldn't affect boost in a supercharger. In a turbocharger,depending upon where the leak is, boost could be affected. :Thumbsup: Jason

11. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    Remember that there is some variation in boost gauges as well. See if you can datalog what the manifold absolute pressure sensor is reading at your DME.You'll have to use a scan tool with datalogging capability. If you are near our shop, I'll lend you one. If you have a boost/vacuum leak, you probably can hear it just as you shut down the car: listen for a sucking sound.

Edit: I just saw you are in TX...

12. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I just looked at a data log I took this morning, and I am hitting 15.75 on a 60-90 run on the highway at around 86 mph @ 6300.

13. Scavenger

Scavenger Active Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    Apex, NC
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    At *almost* WOT @5000rpm, I pull about 12lbs. with 15% pulley. So, I'd expect to get a little more at WOT and winding it on out. I've heard plenty of good things about the DT BPV. Mine's still stock, but I've been considering it.

14. Detroit Tuned

Detroit Tuned Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    evertyhing
    Metro Detroit
    Ratings:
    +319 / 0 / -0
    Our BPV is a nice item, with many happy customer. One of things you can do to see if the BPV is a problem is to zip tie it shut and get a feeling of how it drives and your boost numbers. If you like the way it drives and you get more boost, our BPV is the ticket. DT BPV

Chad
    Detroit Tuned

15. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    With the tighter spring to close the valve quicker and seal better it was a good purchase. Something I had not thought about. Install was not too bad either.

16. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The various times I have checked the max boost on the AutoMeter gauge installed in my 06 MCS JCW GP, it has been 18 psi which seems a little high. The same gauge installed in my 03 MCS with 15% was usually at max of 16 psi. In any case, you should be around 16 psi or so unless you have a leak somewhere.

17. imspencerwithanr53

imspencerwithanr53 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Barista
    Portland, OR
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm at 17psi right now with a 17% and other mods.

18. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The adjustment on the bpv may be incorrect or to much. The zip tie test works best if the adjusting screw is turned so the valve is completely closed during the test.