Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Borla S-Type exhaust not aggressive at all!??

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Systemlord, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Last weekend I installed my new Borla S-Type exhaust system (#140517, updated version) and it's barely louder than my stock exhaust! My brother helped out installing it and even he was shocked at the lack of sound, no stranger to my stock exhaust he stated it is as loud as my stock exhaust that we just hacksawed off. Second cat still there, I'm in CA.

I'm running the stock intake and have a clean, healthy engine since I had the walnut blasting done along with new plugs and combustion chambers cleaned up using three bottles of BG 44k across three tanks. I have noticed quite a bit more mid-range power, just would like the sound to go with it. Is it possible that I mistakenly received a Touring muffler instead of the S-Type that's supposed to sound aggressive?

I have heard some S-Types on YouTube on same year (2007 MCS) and model that sound very aggressive when compared with mine! I wonder if Borla sells a resonator delete for their exhaust systems to make them louder...? Where is that deep aggressive sound? What can I do to make it louder and yes I love obnoxious.

Thanks,
    Systemlord.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    I've heard that turbo engined cars tend to be quieter. If there is resonator maybe you can remove that for more sound.

3. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    What Crash said... Lose the resonator if it's there.

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Also keep in mind the longer it's on the louder it gets. It will break in.

I had a Borla on my R50 and it got so loud I hated it.

5. Systemlord

Systemlord New Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    #5 Systemlord, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    What is the theory behind the exhaust getting louder as time goes on, maybe at first you liked it loud and just started to annoy you after some time? As far as the resonator is concerned it came with the Borla S-Type cat back exhaust system. What is the point of a resonator in the first place?

If I end up going with a resonator delete I might as well delete the second cat, is there a place that specializes in custom piping going from the DP/cat straight to the Borla muffler?