Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brake break in ?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Rae, Mar 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So the '04 had the brake pad light come on. We replaced the pads with EBC greens, on a recommendation that reds all around are too aggressive. So here's the issue. It's been 500 miles or so. The brakes are still a little spongy, squawk occasionally. Jai says they're still seating. When I brake hard (say from 45 to stop, pedal to the floor), I get some feedback, like when the ABS kicks on, but it's not the ABS. Not at these speeds and distances. So do you think the rotors are warped, or are the pads still seating?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Did you change rotors?

Did you bed in the new pads?

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I didn't change the rotors, and I don't know if the mechanic bedded the pads. It's actually Jai's car and I wasn't there for the pick up discussion.

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Where the rotors resurfaced then?

5. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    nope, I'm afraid that's what should have happened though.

6. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    "warped rotors" occur very infrequently. Pad deposit on rotors is more likely the cause. If your new pads are more aggressive than your former pads, this condition will go away with use. If not, the rotors will need to be replaced or turned. MINI doesn't recommend turning rotors, but a skim to clean things up isn't bad IMO. Brakes will then need to be bedded.

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Minimum resurfaced, best case replace rotors. New pads and worn rotors never a good thing, ever.

8. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    If you have a set of aggressive track pads lying around, throw them on for a couple days and brake easy till the brakes start squealing like a school bus. Then put the street pads back on and the judder will be gone.

9. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    EBC pads come with a special abrasive coating on the pad surface so that they can bed themselve in on used rotors, according to the MFR.

All the ones I've installed for club members seem to do fine after about 500 miles, but IIRC there's an instruction sheet that comes with the pads with a bed-in procedure. So many stops from this speed, so many from a higher speed and so on - did you follow those instructions in your bed-in miles?

10. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thanks MiniDave - I just found these online, so I'll work on it and see what happens!

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I just installed a set of EBC Greenie stuff pads from Outmotoring on my MINI last Friday. They replaced a set of Hawk ceramics.

My rotors, (Stop Tech slotted cryo treated)looked good & had no runout so I chose to reuse them. I cleaned them with brake clean & them hit them with a rotory disc designed to scuff up rotors.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Abrasives-STB595418-Pinnacle-Cleaning/dp/B000VHVJ5W"]Amazon.com: Standard Abrasives (STB595418) 2" 120 Grit Pinnacle Brake Cleaning Disc: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21%2BOVoVbfVL.@@AMEPARAM@@21%2BOVoVbfVL[/ame]

Put the pads on & followed the standard bedding in procedure. Brakes work well with no issues. I've got 1,300 miles on them now.

I like the EBC Greenies, good initial bite. Better than the Hawk ceramic pads, but they also have more brake dust. It's all a trade off I guess.

Rae- I'm thinking maybe you rotors weren't cleaned well & there is some old pad material on there or they were not bedded & possibly both. Go through the bedding routine & see if that helps.

12. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so we pulled the wheels off to clean the rotors. The problem is that the rear wheels barely rotate. Is there some sort of brake pad adjustment? I'm thinking the wheels should spin freely when the car is on the jack stands. Yes, the e-brake is off :)

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    When you install the rear pads, there are clips that slip into a groove on the piston, sometimes folks don't get those engaged properly....easy to check, just slide that inner pad out and make sure you reinstall it with those clips seated in the grooves.

When you installed the rear pads, did you turn the piston as you pushed it back in? This resets the em brake setting.

Bottom line, yes they should rotate freely....

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
  15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    One other thing, if there is a large raised edge or lip on the outside edge of the rotor, that could be causing the pad to drag - if so you really need to replace the rotors.

16. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    There's definitely a lip on the edge of the rotor, no visible, but you can feel it. Thanks for the tips, it's really great having a place to go for mechanical advise - and general MINI chat!
    Thanks everyone!:beer