Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brake Duct Inlet Options

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    OK, so what do you do on your car with brake ducts?
    1. Leave the bumper cover inlet holes open 100% of the time?
    2. Somehow close/cover them for the street and open only for track events, etc.

Do you need to be concerned about the ducts blowing in bugs and debris, etc. or maybe even rain water to the brakes for street driving?

Has anyone fashioned a grill over the duct inlet to at least keep the big stuff out?

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have an R53 and Sneed's kit installed without the bumper brackets. The fog light holes are too small for trash, bugs don't matter, and rain doesn't cause issues. The only time I had trouble was when they pre-treated the roads for snow with a brine solution, and then the snow wussed out and it rained.

Salty rain is HORRIBLE for brake ducts! I hosed off the rotors and calipers, sprayed some water through the ducts, and crossed my fingers. The wire inside the ducts got rusty, but nothing's broken yet. After that episode, I re-installed my fog lights and tucked the duct hose behind the fog lights. This year I'll be sure to close up the ducts before winter comes.

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Oh come on, only one response?

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What are you looking for, a concensus? :D

5. drPhilGandini

drPhilGandini MINI of the Month May 2009

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK. I run my Way ducts open all year round, but rarely do I drive in the wet, or other nasty conditions. I once drove through a really deep downpour and the ducts directed water directly on my brakes so that I was without brakes for one application of the pedal--scary for a second but no problem thereafter. (But the water was over 12" deep, so no brake duct would have done otherwise.)
    As for the Way ducts, they direct air --generally-- to the center of the hub, but there is a reasonable distance between duct outlet and hub. I really don't know how well they work, having never done any tests, but they don't hurt. They look cool, are quite rare, and don't hurt, so that's +++ in my book.
    I ended up putting 4 rivets in each duct, and would like to see them integrated with the bumper, but that's a completely different project (that will never get done.)
    Good luck,

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    So I'm not the only one who put four rivets in...:D

I've been thinking about making an insert, or maybe a piece of vinyl to cover them during the winter...

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I too run with them open year round. I do drive in the rain and am conscience that there is extra cooling from the added water going through the disks. I've even driven through a mass of grasshoppers only to find some embedded in the rotor and on the back of the wheel afterward.

8. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #8 mini_racer, Aug 4, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
    My rendition of brakes ducts directs the air as much as possible to the center/hub area of the rotors and includes the OEM rotor backing plate.

So, they are generally more effective than the JCW challenge style, but then again I am more concerned about water, debris, bugs, etc. So, I am thinking about some kind of cover,etc. for the inlet for street driving. Trade-offs..............

9. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    You could always add in a screen somewhere to stop bugs and debris. Got to be able to reach it to clean it.. Could also add a couple of "weep holes" ( drain holes ) in the bottom of the tubing/hose to help with the water..

10. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Photo below shows the fog light installed with the brake duct sitting behind it. This is one benefit of using one large tube instead of 2 smaller ones like JCW Challenge cars. This is my winter setup.

[​IMG]

11. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, the fog light is inside the hose, right. Ok, so for off season use, you are just restoring the fog light function? And I guess also effectively plugging the opening to keep the duct system clear. Got it!

12. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    I leave the holes open all year round.
    As DrPhil noted, I also had a problem in deep water with no brakes but I do not think the brake ducts had much negative affect it was just too much water and the pads were cold and very wet.

13. BThayer23

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Yup. While the fiberglass ducts offer more protection from moving parts, the flexible hose ducts are more flexible.