Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires Brake pad and rotor replacement help for newbie!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by koalakelly, May 2, 2013.

1. koalakelly

koalakelly New Member

May 2, 2013
    Forsyth county, GA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just got my 2006 Mini Cooper S convertible a couple months ago and absolutely love it! Only problem I'm noticing is how damn expensive it is to work on. I'm a 23 year old with no car experience, but am determined to learn. I love the idea of working on my Mini myself and the perfect opportunity has arisen.

My brake light came on and lo and behold: brake pads, rotors, and sensors need replacing. Repair shop will do the job for about $850. EEEK! Any good videos out there on how to do this???

I'm looking at getting the following parts to save on money while still not getting the cheap stuff (keep in mind I don't do heavy driving, just a have a little fun going too fast around town):

-Prostop ABS sensor
    -Duralast Semi-Metallic front and rear brake pads
    -Duralast front and rear rotors

I have very few tools, a tiny spare tire jack, and a garage. That's about it.

HELP!

2. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The How To section under the Library tab (top of page) has write-up on front and rear brake replacements:
    1st Generation MINI Cooper How-To - Library

Your parts list states ABS sensor. You do not need an ABS sensor, you instead need a brake pad wear sensor.
    Here is the sensor you need (one for front and one for rear):
    Brake Pad Sensor - Way Motor Works

You might want to check some of these kits (select based on your budget and driving style):
    WMW EBC- Red Brake Package R50 R53 R52 - Way Motor Works
    WMW EBC- Red Brake Package R50 R52 R53 - Way Motor Works

You state you have limited tools. Make sure you have everything you need to do the job right (these are your brakes). You will also need a couple special tools (available cheap at Harbor Freight Tools).
    Torx Bit to get rotor off.
    Brake Caliper Tool to twist and compress rear brake.

3. silky

silky New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Also...

Large Allen wrench to remove caliper bolts...
    Large channel lock pliers to push back front pads...
    I don't think I would want to do a brake job relying on the OEM jack...a hydraulic jack? Harbor Freight specials are about $60...Obviously you don't get under the car with either, but the hydraulic jack is so much faster...
    Wire brush to clean off hubs & pad carriers...

Single most important requirement...an experienced buddy!

4. papa-j

papa-j Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 15, 2010
    (Retired) EHS & Quality Systems
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    Good advice on how-to's is given already. Safety is a clear priority as well. I am impressed you want to work on it yourself and totally support that.

<with helpful intent> First - I suggest you get an estimate from another shop as well, before you drop the coin. And make the shops explain why you need all the parts.
    For example - Saying you need rotors doesn't always make it true. Are they truly worn down to the replacement stage? Make them show you.

example 2 - I have read on the forums of people who had the brake sensor malfunction (rubbed through the harness and/or bad connection IIRC) which makes the light come on. This means the 1 sensor needs replacing, not the whole kit and caboodle.

Just emphasizing - using evidence based decision making is a good way to do the spending.

How many miles on your 06, and do you have any maintenance history for the car? That can be helpful.

Keep us posted and good luck! :Thumbsup:

5. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    +1 on EBC Red Stuff pads from WMW.

Even with a good race jack, Craftsman has one for a hair more than $50.00, don't ever put any of you under the car you don't want squished. Craftsman also has floor stands for around $ 10.00 to $12.00 apiece. Then you don't have to worry about it.

By the way, an easy way to get good buddy help is with a fine craft brew.

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: 1st POST! Welcome to MA. The guys are giving you very good advice by the way. THANKS GUYS! Good luck with the brake job!:Thumbsup:

Jason

7. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    You've probably already gotten all the good advice you might need, just wanted to say "hi" and also encourage your notion of self-servicing. Everyone started with no experience, and each successful job done will build your skills. I've gotten to where I can do most maintenance stuff...and I started with an oil change and valve adjustment on my '58 VW in the late 60's. Still have that first set of Stahlville open ends I bought. Good luck!

8. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Oh yea!! I still got a three piece set of side draft SU carb balancing needles.

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Another great option is to contact a local MINI club (if available) and see if they have an upcoming tech day or even better a member who can assist you in the repair.

10. LoLowe

LoLowe New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Retired
    Bonne Terre MO
    Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    That was going to be my suggestion Scott. I'm retired and have a garage and tools, and do like helping out with some self help DYIs even if I can't do alot of the work anymore I still can teach and show.

11. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    These guys have said it all, and probably said it better than I could, but I'll amplify some good advice.

PLEASE get a decent floor jack and a set of jack stands. I love my MINI, but I love not being squished even more.

I have a friend who was a dirt track racer. He was a millwright, and later bought his own fab shop/crane and rigging/millwright service. He is well aware of safety working around suspended loads, but his race car fell on him in a moment of carelessness. Have a "work buddy" with you as much as possible who can get a car off of you. At a bare minimum, let a friend or neighbor know what you're up to and have them check on you from time to time.

If you were close to me, I'd invite you to my shop. I'd do one side and watch you do the other.

The two hardest parts of a brake job for a novice are:
    1. Getting the wheel off the car
    2. Accepting the fact that yes indeed, you CAN do it!

BTW, the allen socket you'll need is a 7mm if you don't want to buy a set of them.

Good luck,

Rawhyde

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    ... and if you tell us where you're located... we might be able to point you toward a shop, a club, or a friendly mini owner who works for beer. :biggrin5:

13. Friskie

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    You really want to hope you are close to Paul and his buddy Blimey. If you have any doubts just check out his blog.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #14 Dave.0, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    I am now NOT RECOMMENDING EBC Reds to anyone since my last two sets of EBC Reds have failed because the pad has separated from the backing plate. :mad5:

I would highly advise everyone with any EBC brakes to check there brakes ASAP by taking off your wheels and compressing the pads and make sure the pads is still attached to the backing plate. I would advise you remove the pad and inspect them and make sure the pad is still attached securely.

EBC did warranty replace the last set with a new set and they are we're on the car and last week both front pads (each outside) pad separated from the backing plate at the Dragon. :incazzato: :frown2::eek6:

FYI My buddy was replacing front brakes with Brakeman street pads today and while removing his front pads he found this when he took of his EBC's. :mad2:
    (See below)

This is what my 3 pads looked like but they were Reds. I also know of another person that had a set of EBC greens fail and destroy his rotors and EBC did replace everything Pads and Rotors but brakes are not something you ever want to fail EVER!

I am now going to back to Carbotech pads because they stop well and dust a little more but never failed or come apart like the EBC's.

Attached Files:

15. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    That's scary, Dave. You should think about starting a new thread about this and drawing more attention to it.

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Will do.....

17. koalakelly

koalakelly New Member

May 2, 2013
    Forsyth county, GA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would have loved another members help! I tried recruiting anyone I knew to help and supervise, but since I just moved here a few months ago no one I know here knows how to do it either. I ended up giving it a whirl, And had.... Mild success. Didn't see the hint on using a torx to remove the rotor so after a couple trips to the store and a good long lunch break to take a breath and breathe I decided to hold off on the rotors for now. Called up good ol dad and he said he'd come check it out when he gets a chance to visit.

For now, changed all the pads and the sensors, and dealing with flushing the brake system for allowing air to get in. :( oh well. My hands got soot black, I impressed all the dudes at work with my story, and the first time working on my car is over. It can only go up from here!!!

Oh and my mini has around 96k. :)

18. koalakelly

koalakelly New Member

May 2, 2013
    Forsyth county, GA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I live in Forsyth county, ga. Next time ill get a keg and invite you all!