2nd Gen R55 Clubman Brake Pads for 2009 Clubman S

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Hawkeye, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

May 8, 2009
    Retired Pharmacist
    Burke, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Folks...I am requesting assistance in identifying ceramic brake pads for my new 2009 Clubbie S. After two months of washing/cleaning the wheels of brake dust, I realize the OE pads have got to go. Help...please.

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I've run both Hawks Ceramics and Carobotech 1521 Bobcats - I'm a big fan of the Carbotechs. They are available in your size. Not cheap, but very long lasting, easy on the rotors, compatible with CT's track pads on the same rotors, great modulation. Note that ny ceramic pad will have VERY different bite characteristics than the OEM pads and will take some getting used to. Bobcats will stop your car just fine - but do not have the "binary" feel of the OEM pads - the harder you push, the more braking they apply, in a pretty linear manner. Not like the OEM "just threw out the anchor" feel when you touch them.

MINI Cooper S R50 R52 R55 R56 R57 JCW Big Brake Kit Wilwood Brembo ATW Hawk Track Low Dust AutoX Auto X Autocross Cross Power Slot EBC Motul Fluid OEM BMW Auto X Cooper

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

May 8, 2009
    Retired Pharmacist
    Burke, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brake Pads

Paul: Thanks for sharing your insights. How is the dust pattern with the Carbotechs?

4. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Paul, please share with us a comparison between the Hawk Ceramics and the carbotech. I have the Hawks (love them), but may consider the carbotechs next time.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I run the Carbotech 1521 Bobcats and agree completely with Paul's characterization. I really like them. Also, they seem practically dust free to me (or maybe it's just because I wash my MINI a lot.) But I can say for a fact that whatever brake dust they produce is just a small fraction of the OEM pads.

One supplemental note: The Bobcats are NOT for the track.

6. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    In my experience, the Hawks and Bobcats produce very similar quantities and qualities of dust - what dust there is, is very light and non corrosive, and wipes right off (especially if your wheels are waxed/sealed). The Hawks had a bit more bite but wore my rotors like crazy. The Bobcats have better modulation. and are easier on the rotors.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  8. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

May 8, 2009
    Retired Pharmacist
    Burke, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think I am going to try the Bobcats when I return from the Beach. I do not plan to change rotors...is that okay?

BTW...We a newcomer to the Calabash area who is from Strawberry Point. Is that very far from Decorah?

10. BlimeyCabrio

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    If your rotors are in good shape, I'd recommend you have the turned the minimum amount possible to give you a nice, flat, clean surface for the Bobcats.