Break in experiences

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Sckill, May 3, 2013.

1. Sckill

Sckill New Member

Mar 2, 2013
    NYC
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    For those of you who bought a Mini new, I'm curious to know what, if anything, feels different after the 1k mile break in period? I bought a 2013 mini s hardtop for reference. I hit the mark about a month ago and I'm noticing a couple of things:

1. Engine output feels a bit smoother. The car still pulls hard when I floor it and when the turbo kicks in, but the turbo doesn't feel as abrupt.

2. The car handles bumps much better. I think the mean streets of NYC have beat the car's suspension into submission. Before, bumps would be very jarring but it seems to have softened up a bit.

Anyone have similar or different experiences?

2. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    1k mile marker was a while back for me...about a year ago.

Engine got smoother overall...and shifting (wasn't ever an issue, just went from "fine" to "like buttah").

I think that was about it. At 26k miles now, 13 months of motoring.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: That was 5yrs ago(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) and the only change that I recall now is being able to go above 4krpm with MINI's blessing. I really didn't break that rule nor after 'break in' have I ever over reved. That little 'watch fobb key' will tell on you every time like say, when something breaks and the dealer wants to pin it on the driver and not pay. I don't apply that to speed limits though:eek6::lol:

Jason

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    My car became more responsive and used less oil, when it broke in.

Dave

5. DryMartini

DryMartini New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Bertie crossed the first 1k around 6 - 8 weeks ago. Engine might be slightly smoother and easier reving and slush box might shift a little smoother. Brakes apply a little more evenly. These would be very minor changes as things were already smooth. Probably more my own just getting used to how it does things in comparason to previous car (Lexus IS.) Fuel economy has gone up, as we were watching that as an indicator of anything not working right. (Everything is working great.) Getting well over 37 around the metro area now vs around 33 on the first couple of tanks.

Biggest change is the size of the smiles on our faces every time we're driving him around continues to grow! Starting to look like The Joker!