2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Bye

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by grodenglaive, Aug 25, 2012.

Tags:
  1. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry to say that today I visited a Scion dealer and traded my MINI in for an FR-S. After 5 1/2 years, 60 autox events, 5 track days, and plenty of happy (though far from trouble free) motoring, it's with a heavy heart that I finally say goodbye to you MINI.

This has been a great place to visit, lot's of great people here - thanks Nathan!

Cheers,
    Pete

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good luck Pete!!

Would like to hear your impressions?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Hey Pete, stay around. Friends are friends no matter what they drive. Fill us in on the FRS, I think they are very nice cars. :Thumbsup:

4. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Those are sweet looking cars... If I had an R56 I would be thinking about it aswell, but I would probably wait for the turbo model to come out.

5. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly, I'm not going anywhere. It tis "Motoring" Alliance after all!! Lol:D

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to seeing pics of the FR-S. Would like to hear about your thoughts once you get a good feel for the car too.

MINIs come and go, friendly folks are always welcome no matter if they are MINI drivers or not.

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Great choice--I had what I thought was a major issue with my MINI, turned out to be minor--but while I was sorting it out, I started looking....

If the MINI wasn't easily fixable, I was seriously on board to buy a BRZ. The FRS/BRZ are just fantastic out of the box. Please post when you get some time on the track with it!

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Good luck with the new car

9. drabdub

drabdub Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Logistics Lead
    San Jose, CA
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    not exactly swapping for a bad car so post pics when you get it

10. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    thanks, I'll be around. I still need my daily MA fix.

11. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Really sweet looking car... interested in your impressions once you have some miles on it.

If I could put a supercharger on that car.... yummmmmm.

12. Roosey

Roosey New Member

Feb 15, 2012
    sheet metal fab
    Hampton Virginia
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    a friend of mine just bought the brz and LOVES it!!

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry to see you get rid of the Mini but stay on M/A and post up some pictures of your new car.

14. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    The brz is a little spendy for me at 32k or so here in the great white north, but I think it's a very interesting car... Balanced, low COG, and RWD. I can see myself in a used one a few years down the road. I'd love to hear impressions from a seasoned mini driver.

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Wait until the STI version of it comes out in a year or two....

16. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    all packed up and ready to go...:sad:

[​IMG]

traded in for the FR-S today, er yesterday now. New photos on the way, as soon as the sun comes up.
    Initial impression: It seems like a paradox - these cars are complete opposites in every way, but are both awesome to drive!
    I put 110 km (68 mi) on the way home - combined city, highway and country road driving (took the scenic route).:biggrin5: The initial awkwardness has almost worn off, after 5.5 years in the MINI anything else feels strange!

The steering is a bit lighter on the FR-S; somewhere between the R56 with the sport button on and off. It has a good direct feel, but is not as tight as the MINI (I had powerflex bushings on the front control arms in the MINI).
    The clutch is also lighter, more like a honda but still easy to modulate. I prefer the feel of the MINI clutch, although the FR-S was nicer in heavy traffic. I liked the shifter - quite a different feel from any I've used. A bit stiffer and notchier than the MINI , but with a shorter throw and direct feel. The placement works well for me. I like it.
    Pedal placement is good - you can heel&toe (actually I use the right side of my foot), but I missed the gas pedal several times trying to blip when downshifting. This will take some adjustment on my part. I had a pedal set from outmotoring so am used to a smaller gap. I'd say the distance between brake and gas is very close to the stock MINI.
    The seats are excellent. I had the sport package on the R56 and they were my favourite seats ever (I've read some people don't like them, but they fit me like a glove). Anyway, the FR-S seats are even more supportive and fit me perfectly. They are firmer, especially under the butt, but are still comfortable (I guess that would be good for road feel). I find the headrest is a bit too far forward though. As with the MINI, you can remove the headrest and install it backwards for when you're wearing a helmet (otherwise it would be extremely uncomfortable). Seating position is easy to set up to your liking (height, tilt, etc.) and the steering wheel has tilt and telescoping (a total must have for me).
    Suspension: I had the sport suspension on the MINI with NM Engineering lowering springs and Koni yellows. The FR-S feels pretty close to that firmness wise. You feel every little bump, but its not harsh if that makes any sense. The car feels pretty balanced, but I wasn't exactly pushing it enough to comment on the dynamics. I'll give you an update after autocross on September 8th.
    Your butt feels like it's almost touching the road and the centre of gravity is very low. It's quite apparent when you turn a corner. This is the biggest difference from the MINI. Also, the lower coefficient of drag (0.27) is noticeable at highway speeds (120 km/h, 75 mph). This should help the top end on the track. I'll probably have to wait until the spring to test that though.
    Powertrain: Well I'm not revving the crap out of it yet, but it puts the power down very nicely and smoothly throughout the rpm range. The torque curve is very flat like the R56 except for a noticeable dip at about 3500 rpm. Speaking of torque, the FR-S is no Cooper S. I will miss the instant thrust from low rpm that the turbo had. It really made day to day driving a lot more fun. Of course, the extra 1000 rpm range and 27 hp should make the FR-S faster overall, but the MINI has certainly spoiled me for torque.
    Damn, my wife's alarm clock just went off. It's 4AM and I'm too wired to go back to sleep:eek6: Time for coffee and:donut1: woohoo!
    Anyway, do I like it better than the MINI? No, not at all, but I like it as much and in different ways.
    Can't wait to see how it compares at autox. I had the dealer swap the Starspecs from the MINI with the crappy tires the Scion came with (they are both 215/45r17), so I'll be comparing them on a level playing field. They thought I was a little nuts putting old tires on the new car and putting the new tires on the trade in.:lol:
    I guess I've babbled on long enough for now:eek: - will provide update soon and pictures.

17. TBangin23

TBangin23 New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Glad you like the FRS. I really like the look of them and and the BRZ. Looks really good. Can't wait to see some pictures!

18. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    In for pics!.

19. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Drove a BRZ, and what you wrote is pretty much word for word how I felt.

The gearbox is unbelievably good for a car in this price range--why can't EVERYONE do this? And the lower center of gravity is a huge advantage.

You're still driving on tires that don't belong on that beast, can't believe they didn't go with something wider and stickier. Put some stickier rubber on that sucker, and I'm wagering you won't be missing the MINI too much.

Can't wait for pics!

20. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Looked at one yesterday but didn't have time to drive it. Liked it!