Carjackers, unable to drive stick shift, fail to steal Corvette

Discussion in 'Other Vehicles' started by rkw, Jan 29, 2013.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    http://www.clickorlando.com/news/Stick-shift-foils-armed-carjackers-at-medical-center/-/1637132/18314360/-/67k58cz/-/index.html

By Isolde Raftery, Staff Writer, NBC News

Randolph Bean of Oviedo, Fla., had pulled over late Sunday night to text message his wife when two would-be carjackers approached his sporty yellow Corvette.

One, holding a gun, forced him to the ground while the other hopped in the driver’s seat, Bean, 51, told WKMG Local 6.

But there was a problem: The aspiring carjacker didn’t know how to start Bean’s car, a 2002 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette. (The car, used, sells for about $19,000.)

"The guy started screaming at me, 'How do I start the car?'" Bean told WKMG. Finally, the other guy, still holding Bean at gunpoint, hollered back, “It’s a stick!”

“I had to tell him four different times that you have to push in the clutch because it’s a standard transmission,” Bean told myfoxorlando.com.

The two assailants – Bean said they were handsome young men -- ultimately ran away with his phone, wallet and keys. The wallet, he said, was special because his wife made it.

“My first thought was I guess we don’t have driver’s ed in school anymore because no one knows how to drive a stick,” he told myfoxorlando.com. “And my second thing was, ‘Don’t shoot me because you can’t start the car! I am trying to help you out here.’”

2. Zipy

Zipy New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Retired three years ago(2010)
    East coast of South Florida
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    If the carjackers didn't have the "piece"; they probably wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to confront the car's owner in the first place. After all, they were only two on one.:rolleyes:

3. debscooper

debscooper New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Export/Food Service Sales Service
    annandale nj ~ OZ
    Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -0
    I love that guy MANUAL !!! He is always right by my side !!! :biggrin5:

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    The new ultimate anti-theft device is a manual transmission?

Could be......last semester only 2 of my 15 students could drive a stick, this semester it's about the same.

Oh, and I teach college automotive courses!

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    How do these budding Auto Service Professionals get the car from the lot to the lift if they can't drive a stick?

6. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    I need to teach The Girl™ how to drive a stick, but I'm afraid to do that in my MINI....