1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Change to the aerodynamics

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by phydeaux, Nov 17, 2010.

1. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My wife has a coworker with an '08 MCS, and her chief complaint is that she can not keep the rear window clean. She's taken to carrying a spray bottle and cloth, and will clean off the rear window wherever she goes.

I've been doing a little research myself, to see if I can offer any suggestions, and it appears that the options are pretty limited. But I wanted to see if anyone here has suggestions to offer. There don't appear to be any options for rear mudflaps, as the '08 convertibles don't seem to have this available. I've considered suggesting Group 4, just to change the air flow characteristics, or even going to the opposite end of the $$$ spectrum, and suggesting RainX on the rear window. What else is out there that can save her sanity, and keep her from wishing to trade in her MINI for something else?

2. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    Mine is a 2nd gen convertible but I don't think there's much difference for this issue. Mudflaps are available for mine and they make a bit of a difference but not much - like it's now 90 seconds to completely opaque rear screen in heavy rain, instead of one minute.

I don't think there is a solution - except maybe a three-foot-long whale tail mounted at the base of the rear window....

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not much you can do......just one of the joys of Cabrio ownership.

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    If she has an MCS she can add a "rear wing extension" to help solve the problem. G4 sells them, look at their site. Minimark can attest to it working to keep the boot cleaner. One is in my future.

Jim

5. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thought about G4 already. Not an option on the cabrio's, though. Not the wing extension, anyway. I'm not sure whether the diffuser would work or not with the cabrio. Don't know if that's a change she wants to the look of the car, too, for that matter. But hey, I wasn't asked to fix it, just throw out possible solutions. ;)

6. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Just gotta deal with it on Cabrios lol. Probably really depends on where you drive too.

I don't drive through any dust or the like regularly and wash the car all the time so im planning to delete my rear wiper altogether lol

One option if it's mainly dust buildup is a car duster. They work great and they could bust that out easier than glass cleaner
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't someone make that spoiler for the vert that attaches to the top of the boot lid?

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I missed the convertible part. Not much help there. :frown2:

Jim

9. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I did find that one. You can see it at Moss Mini - link

10. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Never saw that before. It would look really cool on the vert, but not so sure about the hardtop.

Jim

11. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I'd hate to hear of someone giving up their MINI because of something like this. Been driving drop heads for years and our '06 MCSc for three and I understand the problem. It is just something to put up with: Like bird poop on the steering wheel and half spent beer cans tossed in the back seat by thoughtless idiots. Learning to enjoy something in spite of it's shortcomings is also part of the journey. It is like everything in life. To gain one thing, i.e. the joy of topless motoring, you have to give up something, i.e. stuff landing on the upholstery and rear windows that poorly do the best they can under severe circumstances.

Another thing. The visibility out the back is limited at best under the best conditions anyway. If she learned to use her side views more effectively, she'd find she doesn't miss the back window all that much afterall.

Doesn't solve the problem but maybe offers a different way of looking at it.:idea:

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I sympathize, I don't know what I'd do without the rear wiper on my MINI, here where we get weather!

13. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Just always leave the top down! Problem solved :D

14. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Trying to keep the rear window clean is like trying to keep bugs off the windshield, ain't gonna happen:mad2:
    There are things you can do to help but every vehicle on the road has the same problem, MINIs are just worse then most:crazy:.

Mark

15. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Are convertible's arches different from a normal hardtop? So far both generations have had mudflap options. They look awful, but they are available.

RealOEM.com * BMW R57 Cooper S Mud flaps

Not sure how much it will help with the dirty rear window. Most of that dirt is sucked up onto the car from the vacuum created by the hatchback design. My best suggestion there is to invest in some replacement wide angle mirrors for the side mirrors. That way you'll have no problem checking to see what's behind you. Side windows stay way cleaner.

16. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I may be overstating the frustration with the rear window slightly. ;) She isn't too impressed with the noise level of the cabrio, but that's another topic altogether, I think. :)

17. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Since I've seen a number of MINI mudflap options that are specifically calling out the 2008 as not compatible, I think there may be a reason. Though why there would be significant difference, I just don't know.

18. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    If it helps with confidence, the parts I linked to came up under a realoem search for R57 convertibles :D

19. phydeaux

phydeaux New Member

May 5, 2009
    Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is the 2008 MCSc an R57, then? I was thinking R52. So many variables... ;)

20. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Haha I don't know. I put in R57 and then a menu of year options appeared, so I selected 2008.

With all that said, the bumper and arch part numbers match between the convertible and hardtop. There's nothing that would stop the mudflaps from fitting.