2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Check engine after brake pad change?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by kimberlein, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone think of a reason my check engine light came on after I changed my front brake pads? I was so happy that I got the brake pad sensor reattached and that the brake light didn't come on when I was finished. But the check engine light came on.

I did also add a little bit of coolant to the reservoir because it was slightly below the Min mark. I didn't fill it all the way to the Max mark, though.

And three or four days ago I took out the air filter and vacuumed it, but I checked that and the filter housing is on tight and the filter looks okay. I just checked the oil and it's fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Not sure, but if you have an auto parts store close by they may be able to do an OBDII scan and let you know what is going on.

3. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, ScottinBend, good idea.

4. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Did the light come on as soon as you started the car after the brake change, or a few days later? Might just be a coincidence (?)

5. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It came on immediately. Actually, the brake light, ABS icon, and the engine light came on, but all but the engine light went off after I burnished/bedded the brakes.

I just now drove it around... a couple miles... then I let it sit for 10-15 minutes and when I started it again, the light didn't come on.

Do you think it had something to do with adding the coolant? Is that a pressurized system?

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Seems I'm posting this everywhere lateley!

In general, if you're going to work on a modern car, I cannot stress enough that you MUST have your own scanner or diagnostic software. To do otherwise is like being an engine mechanic without a torque wrench.

Here I offer a couple Innova scanners for about 50% off retail.

Here I offer some Bavarian Technics diagnostic software that does much more than just OBD-II diagnostics. In this case it would have told you what the ABS system was seeing that threw the codes. Usually that "trifecta" is from a wheel speed sensor that isn't well connected.

Whether you buy from me or not, you really, really, really should get some form of diagnostic tool. No, they aren't perfect, but without them, you don't have the "ears" to listen to what your car tries to say to you.

Matt

7. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Dr Obnxs, good to know. I must have missed all your other posts.
    I did get a suspension book you recommended somewhere, though. :D

8. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't know why...

but there has been a rash of posts saying something along the line of "I did X, and now I have a check engine light. What's wrong?" with no code posted. Guess it's just the luck of the draw!

Matt

9. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Those wheel speed sensors are a pain in the butt. I had gremlins in my car for months with "randomly" occurring lights and CAN bus errors, etc. Eventually cleaned the wheel speed sensors and used dielectric grease on the plugs, and no more problems.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  12. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Did you battery run down pretty low while you were working on the car, such as you had a door open? I have had various lights come on when the battery is low but the car will still start. Then after after restarting the car the lights go out.

13. kimberlein

kimberlein New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bellaire, TX
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure it was the wheel speed sensor, but I'll keep this in mind in case lights come on again.

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Wheel speed sensor

is by far the biggest cause of the dreaded trifecta of lights.

Matt