Check Engine - No Codes

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Sully, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    So, right before I left for my last work trip, I went out to take the GP2 for a drive and the check engine light came on at start up. So I plugged in the OBD2 and turned on Dashcommand.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.39.18 AM.png

No error codes were thrown. Then I poked around in Dashcommand (This is still new to me) and found what appears to me to be issue:

If you look at the pic below, Oxygen Sensor has a "!" next to it. But no details.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.24.04 AM.png

Then, I left to get on a plane.... two weeks later, I'm now back at it and wanted to see if I could get more information regarding the using OBD Fusion as it provides more information. I pull that information and am now doing some research to confirm its my Oxygen Sensor(s). I had an issue at MOTD with an Oxygen sensor and had it changed by Detroit Tuned Tent (Thanks Chad) but I don't remember which one. I think I will most likely be able to visually figure that out... but if memory is correct its the post cat one (My car doesn't have a cat).

However when I look at the diagnostics I see some interesting things. Again, this is new to me so I'm doing some research, but figured I would go ahead and post this should someone know off the top of their head.

First thing:
    No Codes and Ready for Emissions testing.. which that seems odd if you have a Yellow check engine light.

11_20_18 Codes.png

Mode $05 - Shows both sensors
    11_20_18 Mode 05.png Mode $06 - On-Board Monitoring does not seem to show Sensor 1 (the wideband sensor). I would think it would at least show sensor one with no values. Also Sensor 2 seems to be incomplete regarding the check and the value is at the top of the range. So I "see" this as an issue, but researching to see if it is or just my lack of knowledge in this area.

11_20_18 Mode 06 Monitor.png
    Mode $01 Powertrain Diagnostic Data
    When I look at the sensor value's it shows both sensors so they are reporting in... which does confuse me regarding the above image. I also need to look up the values to see if they are in range or not.
    11_20_18 Sensor Value.png

I find it odd that both sensors are reporting in, neither sensor check is complete, the monitoring doesn't show sensor 1 while the car clearly see's it (that said, maybe it's not monitoring it).

Ultimately, due to both sensors not completing their checks, reporting in, but 1 sensor not being monitored (wideband).. I wonder if it's something else.

1) My Next step is to do some more research on what should be showing up (should both O2 Sensors?).
    2) What are the proper values
    3) What it means for the checks to show up as incomplete.

If anyone is familiar with this type of situation, let me know. Otherwise as I do more research I'll update this thread.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok after looking at all the data I clearly see your problem...........its a Gen2!:eek::D

last time we talked I did not think of this. My sons Mustang has a tune on it, actually we have 3 tunes we can run on it. The tool for putting the tunes on the car is also a scanner. We have found sometimes we have to remove the tune and go back to stock when working on the car. Programing a new key is one time we had to do it. So perhaps the tune is keeping you from getting a good scan.
    If you don't have a cat how is it not always throwing a code, is it part of the tune? If so maybe its the tune causing the problem.
    Perhaps it's the loose nut working on the car? Just saying

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    It looks like the O2 is not reading or has reached a reading that will allow the “ready” status for emissions testing.

This will happen even on a 1st gen (Lee) if you clear all the codes and reset the adaptations before you go get tested. You have to drive the car like a normal person for 25-50 miles at 40-55 mph for the O2 sensor to send the readings to the ECU / BCM so the status goes to ready.

I would try that first if you have emissions testing in your area, some areas don’t.

The next step would be to call Mario. :cool:

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Also, without a cat Mario may have installed a SIM somewhere or coded it out in the software somehow.

It would be best to check with him.

5. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    That is most definitely the case. Regarding the tunes, good point. I can set it back to "stock" and run the codes again.

Thanks - the drive part I understand. I didn't understand the emissions testing? Are you suggesting I go get it tested?

Agreed - I need to look at my notes, but I believe that is coded out in the software.. but I'm not 100% sure. I actually need to send the tune off anyway to have it updated.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
  7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

No, do NOT get it tested. You will fail because the O2 is not in a ready status. It would be a waste of money to pay to get tested if it’s coded out or has a SIM installed.

Take it out for a nice ride for an hour, staying between 40-55 mph, and when you get back s night the car again to see if the O2 are in a ready status.

Do you even have STATE inspection and Emissions testing every year where you are located? Meaning are you required by state law to get emissions tested yearly or every two years?

8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Got it - we are in the same page. I miss read the previous post and was wondering what an inspection would somehow do.

Regarding inspections - yes we have to have them every year. :(