1st Gen R53 Cooper S Check Your Belt Tensioner Damper

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by minsanity, Dec 14, 2012.

1. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Finally replaced my worn bushless tensioner damper w/ same OEM.
    Man, what a world of difference,:Thumbsup: Not only was the chatter gone, it actually smoothened the engine. So significant that it feels brand new.
    My old 1 not only lost the rear bush, but also all of its resistance. The long spirited drive I earlier had confirmed its function. If only OEM were bulletproof.

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    How many miles on your MINI? Glad you solved your issue. :Thumbsup:

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Mine went dead after only about 25K.

Seriously looking at the Alta damper replacement part next time this fails.

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    #4 KittyMini, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Are you talking about the belt tensioner or the crank pulley?

Just bought an aftermarket fluid damper (crank pulley) myself. This one is a much needed improvement from the stock one, and will not need replacing.

Will have that put in after the holidays. It hasn't failed, but it's a known point of failure and I'm a believer in upgrading before something fails and takes out other things :Thumbsup:

I would think modding and doing a reduction pulley would decrease the life of the damper.

5. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    No, not the harmonic damper. I replaced my failed one w/ ATI recently. It's the stock strut of the belt tensioner assembly. Im @ <46k now & the reason I changed coz it had chatter due to lost rear bushing. Post extraction inspection showed it was soft w/o resistance. Now, there's no more noise + the bonus of super smooth engine & shifts. Amazing what that lil part does!:Thumbsup:
    It just doesn't seem to last. :( I was thinking of maybe experimenting w/ the Alta undampened adjustable tensioner when this new OEM 1 should fail again. After feeling the unexpected results, I'm not so sure anymore. That strut has a designed function that a fixed 1 might not do. Wish they were more durable & could be bought separately from the tensioner assembly.

6. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    DO NOT try the Alta one.....
    There is a reason it's dampered.
    And not to insult anyone out there, but I do not like Alta products :nonod:

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    So tell us why....you must have all sorts of personal experience with it.

8. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm. Someone should come out w/ a "lifetime" tensioner damper, then!
    Old school engines have been running undampened tensioners for ages w/ no issues other than the occasional/periodic manual tightening. Using the Alta eliminates the need for a tensioner tool & stop; avoids all that collateral damage when belt snaps; renders the spring useless & you won't need bushing replacement. ON PAPER, that's a lifetime part.
    I know our stock tensioners compensate for belt slacking-tightening in real world engine conditions & that's great in absorbing potential stresses! Good intentions, just lousy execution. We need some aircraft-grade 'lifetime' strut dampers!:D

9. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Are you refering to why I don't like Alta products?
    If everything you hear about a company is bad, then I'm gonna shy away from it.

10. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Minsanity - what part specifically are you referring to? The only related Alta part I'm aware of is a tensioner stop, not a replacement tensioner... Am I missing something?

11. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
  12. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    FYI we now have our own WMW belt damper bushings made of delrin so they won't break or wear out.

As for the alta tensioner bar it does not work correctly. Since it is fixed in length the belt tension will not change at different loads like the tensioner is designed to work. depending on load the belt will be either under tensioned or over tensioned based on how tight the rod is. Not a good design in my opinion.

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The bushings don't help with the damper life. I could see a benefit to a damper system on a more serpentine belt, but our belt doesn't run a lot of pulleys.

As to the whole Alta hate going around, unless you have personal experience, don't propagate the hate.

14. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Not spreading hate... Just saying that I don't like them. Whatever my reasoning is on me. Do what you like with your money.

15. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    And again.....do you have any personal experience with any of their products or are you simply repeating what your buddy Dave says?

16. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    If it was just one person, then that wouldn't really hold as much weight.

But I'm not going to argue with you. I have my trusted vendors I use. Period.

Happy holidays.

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No sense arguing with the defenders of Alta....

Vote with your wallet & buy from who you like. It has worked well for me.

18. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Way and I don't agree on everything, but we agree on this... That belt does need a damped tensioner. Otherwise BMW would have saved the money. If you've ever watched it bouncing when the damper is bad, even at idle, you should understand why. The belt and belt-driven accessories are a VERY dynamic system. Load and drive torque changes constantly. The belt can't absorb all that... At least not for long.

19. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Well the way I see it the Alta item gets rid of the need for the safety feature which is a plus and the bushings that go bad another plus, but I am with Way on its function, I dont think its a good idea.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Let me make this very clear......I don't like all of Alta's products or their customer service. What I really don't like is the constant bashing from a few vocal folks that tend to voice a very strong opinion on most anything regardless of the nature of the OP. My couple of Alts parts have performed as designed and have lasted. And these are the only parts I personally will endorse....cause I have them.

I agree with AliceCooper on the pluses and the negative could be taken care of by simple routine maintenance as I believe the only reason to have this type of tensioner is to try and eliminate any need to adjust the tension periodically to adjust for belt size change.