Clarkson to voice new Tom Tom Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Top Gear' started by Nathan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As if driving wasn’t stressful enough, now you can add extra tension to your journey – by having Jeremy Clarkson hectoring you from your sat nav.
    The Top Gear host is lending his voice to the latest navigation system from TomTom.

In true Clarkson style, he will bark out: ‘Turn right. Turn RIGHT. You missed it! For the love of . . !’

And instead of the usual instruction to ‘Do a U-turn where possible’, he will order drivers to perform a handbrake turn where safe to do so.

He told The Sunday Times: ‘It is mostly about the tone of voice I use.
    ‘There’s a tone of voice I use when ordering people to do things, so, “I said left, left, I said leftâ€, you know, that kind of thing.

‘It’s not a gentle sat nav voice, put it like that.’

The device, launched next month by Europe’s biggest sat nav maker, will also feature Stig, the mute racing driver from the show.

He added: ‘You can put it in Stig mode, apparently, which is when nothing happens. It doesn’t speak to you at all.

‘So you can either have Stig or me and personally I would use the Stig most.’
    It represents something of a change of heart for Clarkson, who has previously made fun of unreliable versions of the device.

In one tirade, he said: ‘I still haven’t found a sat nav that knows the M40 exists. All of them insist that London and Oxford are joined by the M4.
    ‘And why in God’s name do the controls have to be so complicated? I don’t need sites of special interest. What I do need is a huge off button, six inches across and painted DayGlo yellow.’

And in 2005, his review of the Mini sparked complaints when it suggested that a German version of the vehicle would have a sat nav system that ‘only goes to Poland’.

The sat nav company is also believed to have been in contact with the Top Gear co-presenters, Richard Hammond and James May, to make recordings of their own – but Clarkson was dismissive of the idea.

He said: ‘Hammond, well that wouldn’t work because he hasn’t got the patience.

‘James May genuinely doesn’t have a sense of direction. We were in a hotel in Brazil recently and I said good night to him in reception and came down in the morning and he was still wandering about with his suitcase because he couldn’t find his room.’

But the decision by TomTom to adopt Clarkson’s voice has sparked criticism from motoring groups.

Julie Townsend, campaigns director for Brake, the road safety charity said: ‘Driving is a serious business and while there’s no problem with humorous voices used by sat navs, drivers need to be making sure that they are not getting distracted.’

Source - Jeremy Clarkson: Sat nav critic to become new voice of TomTom | Mail Online

2. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    When you make the turn correctly does it say, "Yeess..." LOL!

3. stevegti8

stevegti8 New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some say.....you're lost!

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Only 54K units produced (note bold text).

TomTom Pulls The Plug On Clarkson-Voiced on Clarkson-Voiced Top Gear GO Live Models (motorauthority.com)

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    There certainly are a lot of controversy's that come out of that show. :D

Jim

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Eh... I like Garmin anyway! I'll put on the Darth Vader voice and I'll just imagine that it's Clarkson. The evil factor is the same!

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I like Garmin too, but I use Emily. :Thumbsup:

Jim

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd love Clarkson yelling POWER as I near a turn. He'd most like be screaming RECALCULATING a lot.

I have a Garmin which I like. I use it like an electronic map. I do not let it tell me where to go. I can read a map even an electronic one. :crazy: