Classic Mini Fun Run, Part Duex

Discussion in 'Classic Mini' started by Minidave, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #1 Minidave, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    Yep, we're gonna do it again!

Last fall me and a couple of buddies met up in mid southern Missouri for a weekend of hooning around the Ozarks in three classic Minis - well that was the plan anyway. Unfortunately one of them chose that moment to die an untimely death (later traced to a bad coil of all things) so it became two Minis and a MINI, but we still had a ball!

This time all the classics are running perfectly and we've even manged to add a couple more, so it's on! We're going over spring break (well, for me it's spring break) and planning again to meet in Cuba, our headquarters motel is the famous Wagon Wheel, right on Rt 66.

Our local guide lives in Steelville, just down the road a piece from Cuba and he's got some great new routes mapped out for us. The roads down there have benefitted greatly from the stimulus, with many miles of brand spanking new pavement just waiting for us.

A group will be leaving KC Tuesday morning March 19, arriving about lunch time, and after lunch the fun will begin!

If you have a classic Mini and would like to join us, please contact me - we'd love to have you along and I promise a couple of days of great roads, good company and you will put some miles on your Mini!

Here's a short vid of one leg we drove, with a small surprise at the end! This road is more of a roller coaster than twisties, but it's still a ton o fun, and I have others to show all the curves if anyone wants to see.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmR_bHsplJg"]Classic Minis on Mo 19 - YouTube[/ame]

And here's the story of our first run, with lots of pics.....http://www.thehotseatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3617&hilit=classic+mini+fun+run

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Did it go boom?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
  4. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #4 Minidave, Feb 22, 2013
    It sure looked like it went boom, didn't it?

But, it didn't.....the only thing we could figure out is that it must have burped out some oil onto the headers, cause when we pulled over it had just about stopped smoking, and wasn't even down on oil. After this we did another 170 miles with no issues.....:Thumbsup:

Sorry about needing the login.....I'll see if I can post a link that doesn't need login to read it.

This time we're going to have 3 Cooper S, and three Pickups, so far.

Come join us if you can!

Here's another short vid....

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-aGeOiPag&list=UUaBwiAbBZCLhIcEnvuB1ZJw&index=2"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u-aGeOiPag&list=UUaBwiAbBZCLhIcEnvuB1ZJw&index=2[/ame]

5. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And one more, just for fun!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik-TaYQLtUs&feature=player_embedded]Classic Minis in Southern Mo #1865 - YouTube[/ame]

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    #6 Crashton, Feb 22, 2013
    Thanks for the videos Dave. :D

Those roads looked familiar to me. We used to go to the 100 Acre Wood rally run out of Rolla. Looked on the map & Cuba is just a piece down the road. Small world.

7. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Ah, MO19, one of my favorites! That 35'sh mile stretch north of Eminence is so enjoyable with the posted-30/35 curves; then for something completely different, the stretch south of Eminence to Winona that hosts some great roller-coasters. Fun times!

8. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Yep, the first vid is that southern section on the way towards Winona....

Besides Mo 19 (which is much fun all the way from Cuba south) there are a huge number of roads all around that area that provide fun and entertainment at rational speeds, especially in a classic.

I'm surprised we haven't had any St. Louis members pop up to go with us, it's just a hop and a skip from there to Cuba.

9. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, lotsa good roads...we've covered many on various runs with the motorcycling rally folks over the past few years.

Cuba is indeed so close, particularly living west of metro STL as I do. If I don't land a new client by then I may join you for a good day's run!

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We'd love to have you! Our guide (Don Ruder) is a former member of the St. Louis region, from way back in the day!

11. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Another classic has joined our merry band of ne'r do wells! Gasmini from Wichita is planning to meet us enroute and join in the fun in his P'up!

So, 3 P'ups, 3 Cooper S and one Cooper, it's shaping up to be a fun event! We have room for 3 more if any classic owners can make it..... :Thumbsup:

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Update - 1 week to liftoff!

Our plan right now is to meet at my shop at 7 am, load up the welder into Don's P'up, and head to Krispy Kreme; fortified with sugar pills, by 7:30 we'll be headed straight south to Fort Scott, where we'll rendevous with Galen in his blue 850 P'up, then go east along hiway 54 to our Motel in Cuba. From there we'll head down to Don's outside of Steelville to drop off the welder, then probably off to meet for dinner.

Our drive down looks to be about 6 hours on the road from my house, so I think by the time we hit Cuba most of us will be done driving for the day!

Weather is always questionable this time of year, but at worst we'll hit some rain..... temps right now are forcast to be mid 60's and sunny!

BTW, the Wagon Wheel Motel offers a discount if we pay cash, just FYI.

I'll have radios for all, but Don's P'up is noisey enough that he usually wears ear plugs, don't know about the other guy's cars! Radios are not of much use in the hills - cell phones work better there - radios are pretty much line of sight.

Here are a couple of pics from our last Classic Fun Run.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Alrighty then.....

Just about ready to go, loading up the tools and such...

Changed the oil, rotated the tars, aired them up a touch, checked all the other fluids, cleaned out a half metric ton of crap I was hauling around, updated my service records (cleaned the papers out of every nook and cranny), doing laundry and heading out shortly to top off the tanks and get a wash.

Weather here is gorgeous after a weekend of rain, it's sunny and the roads have already dried out, supposed to be like this in the Steelville area all week till Thursday, when it's supposed to snow! If it does I suggested we make that the "work on the Moke" day, as it's supposed to be sunny again on Friday. We'll see, it's spring in the midwest, anything can happen!

I'm taking Rose's Surface tablet, so my contributions over the next few days might range from minimal to unreadable, we'll just have to see how it goes! I bought the tablet as our traveling computer, so I wanted to give it a trial by fire.....she's already got the forum links loaded in and the motel has a great wifi connection, and since the Surface has a USB port I can upload pics and vids to it then copy them to a thumb drive, or upload to You Tube from it too. Plus too and also I can Skype her in the evening instead of using the cell....

I'm taking my little Canon Powershot (which is what I shoot all my vids on) and plenty of AA batteries as it eats them like candy and I'm hoping to get some good run vids again. Wonder if I could prop the Surface up somewhere and take some vids with it too? It has a much better camera and I have a USB power hookup in the car to charge cell phones and such......

We got Don's exhaust tightened up so he won't get gassed out again like the last time when the manifold was cracked and the head pipe wasn't tightend properly. None of that saves me tho, when I'm following 5 or 6 classic Minis all running rich as can be compared to a modern car! Last time I had to take an hour to get some fresh air towards the end of the day after breathing fumes for 6 hours .....

Pics in the AM as we head out.