Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Clear Red Brake Light Indicator

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Megafun2009, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Megafun2009

Megafun2009 New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am a new (and excited) owner of a 2009 Mini Cooper convertible. With 33,000 miles, I had the front Rotors, Brake Pads and Brake Sensor changed. The mechanic could not clear the red brake light. I've tried turning the ignition key on for 30 seconds, then off, then starting the car as mentioned in another thread... didn't work. I tried some of the YouTube suggestions. Nothing has worked so far. Before I go to the dealer (which is about an hour's drive away) anyone have any success with a 2009 (non S)?:fingerscrossed:

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps a sensor not fully plugged in, or too much or too little brake fluid in the reservoir.

3. Megafun2009

Megafun2009 New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brake light- still on

Sensor plugged in, removed a few ounces for brake fluid. Does the light automatically go out or does it need a clever sequence of button pushes (or trip to dealer)?

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Found this.....

When the Brake Wear Service indicator light illuminates, one of the two Brake Wear Sensors has been triggered. The brake wear sensor is a wire loop that gets worn down against the rotor. Once the wire is worn thru and the circuit is opened, the brake wear indicator light is illuminated.

The MINI has a brake wear sensor in the front left wheel, and the right rear wheel.

After replacing the worn sensor, reset the service light with the following procedure:

For "Generation 1" 2002-2006 R50 and R53 Hatchback and 2005-2008 R52 Convertibles

A. Turn the ignition key to the #2 position for around 30 seconds without turning over the engine
    B. The light should go out!

For "Generation 2" 2007+ R56 Hatchbacks, 2008+ R55 CLUBMAN, and 2009+ R57 Convertibles

To enter the service Menu:

A. Insert Key
    B. Do not press clutch / brake
    C. Press Start button
    D. Wait until the Car / revelant Service symbol disappears on the Rev counter display
    E. Immediately after the symbol goes out - Press and hold Both buttons on the Rev Counter
    F. Continue to hold - the system Will run a dash light check
    G. Continue to hold
    H. Display will then show VIN / Menu, - continue to hold through this until the time Reappears on the display.
    I. Now release Only the Right hand Button (trip reset) for about a second, and then press and hold again (whilst still holding the LH button)
    J. After another second or 2 the display will show the Front Brake Symbol You Are Now in the Service Menu:D
    K. Use the BC Button (on indicator stalk) to scroll through to the relevant symbol - eg Rear Brakes
    L. To Reset the warning indicator light - Press & Hold the BC Button at the revelant symbol until RESET appears - then press and hold again until the process is complete.

Turn Off and On the Ignition again - Warning should now have gone!

And if that didn't work, try this:

A. Sit in car, close door and turn ignition on.
    B. Press and hold trip reset button for 10 seconds.
    C. The upper display in the tach will be illuminated with a service item. the lower display in the tach will indicate the remaining time or mileage left for that service item. Pressing the BC (board computer) button repeadtedly on the end of the turn signal stalk wil allow the display to scroll through all of the condition based service items.
    D. To reset, press and hold the bc button again and the lower screen will indicate reset.
    E. Pressing the bc button only resets the item displayed in the upper window only. Repeat the procedure for any additional service reset needs.

5. Copperknob

Copperknob New Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You can get the shop manual off amazon from Bentley publishers and if you have an obd 1 or 2 you can pull the computer codes. An if you are a mechanic or mechanic incline you could save big bucks before heading to the dealer and getting things done. I've got it and it has really helped me out and I've only had the book like 3 weeks.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    A Bentley manual is a "MUST HAVE" for any MINI owner that is going to do any troubleshooting or work on a MINI. :Thumbsup: