Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Clutch Issues Cooper S

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by mrminimmel, Oct 18, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I may be getting too far ahead to ask this but I'll get started anyway. I'd been noticing a occasional soft noise when starting from a stop. Maybe once a day or every two days.
    Took it to the dealer today and the mechanic drove with me and we both heard it and he said he thought it might be a clutch issue. The service adviser called back to say that if they get it apart and determine that there is too much damage that MINI might not warranty the repair. The car has maybe 30,000 miles on it. I autocross once a month maybe twice but shouldn't a Mini handle that Ok? The adviser said if it is not warranty-able I could consider an aftermarket clutch to put in. So here is my dilemma- OEM or if not-what brands, questions to ask, considerations for future autocross use, resources to look at?
    Thanks, Pete

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a few R56 clutch failures at the same mileage, some can handle it, some can't, and some are doomed from the beginning due to a flywheel defect. Rather than fill the page with failure photos, many can be seen in my gallery.

For the daily driver that sees much stop & go use, the OEM clutch has the best behavior. At this time I'm only aware of one R56 aftermarket alternative, it is from OS Giken, and it is relatively costly. The OS disc has a durable friction material that can handle increased power output and high heat without glazing or warping. The downside is it can become grabby when hot, so not the best behavior if you depend on slipping the clutch much. There are three models to choose from for the R56, all come with a practically indestructible release bearing; some info can be found here. I'll be doing an install of a GTS model in an R56 over the next few days and will share some details later.

[​IMG]

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Consider an LSD or ATB differential installation while the gearbox is removed, and a smaller diameter Cooper front swaybar while the subframe is lowered.

4. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Why a cooper swaybar?

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    To reduce understeer and inside wheel lift. Also, it is an OEM modification that usually will not cost points resulting in a classification change.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I have to say I am sorry the dealer is already spinning this position to setup a lack of support from MINI. I would press them firmly, yet politely, that a clutch should not go that fast. Remind them that the throw-out bearing is plastic and that there are known cases of a clutch going this early that has been covered.

That is unless you really want to change to an aftermarket unit. Then I'd pull the car from the dealer and take it to a local independent shop.

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I feel your pain there. Lucky for me they took care of it under warranty/service. Check my thread here: Clutch Issues

8. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    what exactly is "slipping the clutch"

I've been driving a clutch, off and on, since 1967 and I've never had a clutch issue. Now that I'm driving a Mini, that I bought used through a dealer, and I'm replacing the clutch with an OS Giken STR at my expense(the dealer says customer abuse). So my question is what is slipping the clutch?
    I autocross 1 or 2 times monthly and have expressed my amazement that what I do to the car is outside its ability to endure.
    I figure the previous owner needed lessons and never got them but I digress. Slipping the clutch is ????