Interior 2nd Gen Comfort access / self-locking: locks after time or movement?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ljmattox, May 29, 2013.

1. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Trying to decide if I have an issue or not.

From the owner's manual, I have the ability to have my 2012 MCS with Comfort Access lock once underway, or lock after some time period, or both.

I *think* it's supposed to lock itself after xx seconds after I walk away from it. I used the turn signal stalk button to cycle to those settings, and indicated that I'd like it to automatically lock after movement *and* after time elapses.

When I drive off, it locks automatically once it reaches some low speed.

But it never locks automatically otherwise. I can leave it, stow the fob somewhere distant, then return after many minutes and it isn't locked. Should it be?

Trying to decide if this is an issue to bring up at my next service.

Thanks for any guidance.

2. ke4sfq

ke4sfq Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Technology Coordinator for a School District
    Florence, AL
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I had an 07 with comfort access and it never automatically locked from me just walking away. They may have added that feature in recent models, but back then it wasn't designed to lock/unlock automatically based on distance. When you got out you could hit the button on the door handle and it would lock.

I did notice if I hit the unlock button on the remote and then never went to the car, it would automatically lock after a short period of time. Seemed to be more of it thinking I accidentally hit unlock in my pocket so it fixed it type thing.

3. nxtMINI

nxtMINI Active Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    I have an '11 with comfort access and I have it set that when I drive off and reach 10 mph (I think) the doors lock. The time lapse could be when you are driving the car and doors lock after a specified time not when you park it and walk away.

If I unlock the door and not open the door, it locks it after a short period of time.

I don't think there is an option so the door locks itself after you walk away with key in hand. I did that a few times and it never locked the doors.

Chris

4. ljmattox

ljmattox Active Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Male
    IT consultant
    St Louis metro USA
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for these responses; so that auto locking behavior isn't there, I'll stop fretting.

As a followup, I thought to re-read an owner's manual again. I didn't feel like wandering back out to the parking garage here at the office, so I downloaded a copy from the MINI Owners Lounge (hey! They finally posted recent copies out there!).

It was an interesting read, since this copy doesn't reference adjusting things via the turn signal stalk, and assumes everyone has the MINI Connected display (I do not). On the plus side, it did give a clearer explanation of the "lock after time" behavior: indeed, what's intended is to be able to control that "lock it back up after you unlock, if nobody's opened a door" setting.

Back to motoring, nothing to fix here, moving on. :)

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0