Commentary - Mini Rocketman, a cute design that raises questions

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

LUCA CIFERRI - Automotive News
    February 28, 2011 - 12:01 am ET

BMW's plan to expand the Mini lineup to double sales to half a million units a year is brilliant and appears achievable if it produces stunning models such as the Rocketman Concept that debuts at the Geneva auto show on Tuesday.

The problem is that regardless of how cute I find the Rocketman, it is wrong to call it a mini Mini.

The Rocketman is 3419mm long but has a 3+1 configuration (three adults and one child). Toyota uses a similar layout on the 3000mm-long iQ.

Maybe it is because I was born the same year as the original Mini, but I believe that a car the size of the Rocketman should fit four adults just as Alec Issigonis's revolutionary 1959 creation did at just 3030mm long.

It is also worth pointing out that the Rocketman is the same length as the Citroen C1, Peugeot 107 and Toyota Aygo sister models, all of which offer room for four adults.

If the Rocketman concept simply hints at the design direction of the third- generation Mini, due in 2013, it is previews a couple of solutions that would be head-turners in a production car.

The innovative two-piece tailgate is very practical. The upper part, fashioned from glass, hinges centrally from within the roof, opening high to provide easy access to the trunk. By contrast, the lower part slides out from the bodywork in the form of a drawer that also doubles as a luggage carrier.

The re-interpretation of the original Mini's so-called "floating roof" is pure fashion. The glass structure is arranged in sections that are fitted with light emitting diodes to recreate the look of the Union Jack. When not illuminated in the colors of the British flag, the various sections glow a neutral white.

Despite its positive attributes, at 3419mm, this 3+1 Mini Rocketman concept is no mini by contemporary automotive standards.

Source - Automotive News

2. Matthew

Matthew New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Boulder County
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Regarding the RM not being a mini MINI, that might well be true technically-speaking based on the dimensions of the classic. But to those of us who find the CM's size objectionable, it's encouraging to see MINI taking "small" seriously. That said, I'm all for the smallest MINI possible.

Regarding the statement that the "innovative two-piece tailgate is very practical", I have to call BS on the drawer being "practical".

Living in Colorado, I can only imagine how much time I would spend cleaning that drawer after each use. Dust, slush, mag-chloride, etc. After a skiing trip into the mountains...forget about it.

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Starting to look like a "Swiss Army Knife".....

Not that I think a Swiss Army Knife is a good thing mind you. They can certainly do a lot of things, but not necessarily do them well.

But then again this is still more of a design study. They have to add the "Look at Me" in order to get the media attention.

Ha.....
    Where do you think the snow on the top will end up when you open the rear hatch?