2nd Gen JCW Computer With A Mind Of Its Own?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Jason Montague, Mar 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Margi, 08 R56 MCS/JCWm BRG(with the extra BRG hp/torque:lol:) was at the dealer last week and had routine service and the turbo/water pump fix. As always they set the 'next service mileage count down prompter' in the tach face that briefly comes on when starting the car. It was set at 1700mi. This is routine for my dealer as they stagger the service and don't try to lump every thing all at once(okay with me):Thumbsup:. 2 days later when I started the car, the prompter had changed to 1900mi(strange:crazy:). 2 days after that the prompter changed to 2200mi:confused:. Tonight the prompter again changed to 2400mi. This has never happened before, that I recall. Any one have any ideas as to whats going on? All's okay with Margi. Runs great, fluids okay, other electrical stuff okay. I'm just very curious as to what could be going on. Please put some serious answers in with the normal banter, you know me, I'm easily confused.:lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I think it actually uses some metrics to adjust the interval. If you like, I can whip out the Webster, cross reference it against Wiki and come up with something more complicated and a lot more believable than that.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Open the pod bay doors HAL....

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The computer adjusts the service interval depending on your driving style. Lots of highway miles a fairly steady state will increase the interval. Conversely a track day is going to see the interval fall fast.

5. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    +1

6. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Or, in your case, just make the engine implode... :biggrin5:

7. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yep. The best way of explaining it that I've read is that the interval is set by fuel consumption and is then converted into a number of miles. It isn't really that you need service in 2000 miles, but that you need service in 66 gallons of gas consumed (which requires math that we aren't used to).

I'd bet that your computer was reset. As it learns your driving style (and aparently you have been driving more conservatively than the average expected by the engineers), it has been moving your mileage up as you aren't consuming as much fuel per mile . Really the # is becoming more and more accurate as the computer gets more data about you.

I remember reading that someone went to a track weekend w/ 2k+ of miles left to go before service and left the track 2 days later with the service indicator at 0 miles. :D 2000 miles in 2 days is really pounding on the miles!

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Thanks All(even Goaljunkie and Johngo, I knew ahead of time that these comments were coming. Laughing-the spice of life:lol::cornut::Thumbsup:) Thanks especially to Nathan, MAs Daddy:Thumbsup:. You guys must be correct(this morning,by the way, it was up to 2700mi) as yes I do do(this ough'ta draw comments) A LOT of night 'therapeutic' driving on twisty country lanes at 65-75mph, with few stops, for hours at a time(remember the 'Raccoon Incident'?). There is just something very calming about driving a Mini. A habit that I can't/won't break. THANKS EVERY ONE!:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    You need to get different friends..... Raccoon's have been known to carry rabies....:D

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I had a 1,700 mile to service interval when I got to Big Willow and after the 5 sessions (~140-155 miles of driving) it said, "Service Soon" in yellow. :ihih:

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Yeah and their canine teeth cut your tongue when you French kiss them:devil::arf::eek6::frown2::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Thanks a lot.... Now that image is seared into my brain and I can't rid myself of it. You Texan's are a strange lot. I'll bet you skin em and wear them on your head too.

13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    O Snap! :arf:

14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: GUILTY AS CHARGED! Actually it's not Texas' fault. She just happened to be the first dry land that my Great Grand Father set foot on in the 'New World' at age 16yo while running(8kmi)away from home as he couldn't get along with his new Step Father. Rightfully former Army SF combat veteran, should take most of the blame. People that can't abide the peace time military and think that combat is much more adrenalin satisfying are probably 'sick puppies' to begin with:Thumbsup:. My lovely wife once(rightly) observed, "Jason, it's a good thing that these guys are in the military as they would have made excellent criminals on the outside:lol:.":Thumbsup:

Jason

15. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    ^^^OK.... But you are still doing some strange things to Raccoons down your way.

16. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: My Mini computer has now determined that my car doesn't need service for 3400mi, double the 1700mi original. So I guess, as long as I keep driving and the computer keeps adjusting, she'll never need service again. This is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused5:

Jason

17. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    You need to drive it like you stole it more :devil:

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    For my money I would not follow that stupid blasted confuser. I firmly believe that BMW has them set to save them money on the maintenance they provide. They could give a schnitzles arse if you car falls to pieces once you are outa warranty. Ignore that thing & service it like you love it. :)

19. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely ignore that counter!

I get my oil changed every 5K.
    I'm getting another oil change before the Dragon and it's only been 1,500K since my last one. I feel it could use another flush since the car sat a decent about before I got my hands on it, plus I'm switching to Amsoil :Thumbsup:
    I will get it done again after the Dragon.

20. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    You are wearing unfashionable clothing and footwear - in order to minimise the psychological trauma imposed on the very style-conscious Mini dealership staff from this shocking sight, a sensor is fitted to Minis to increase the service interval when unfashionable clothing/footwear is detected.

If you always combine a plaid shirt, loon pants and open-toe sandals, you will find your Mini never needs servicing again. You, on the other hand.......