Considering wrapping my dash/doors/etc...

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by ImagoX, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Someone I know does really nice work wrapping parts in carbon fiber sheeting... My purple haze convertible has the dash that looks like worked aluminum, which I've never liked - I think it looks cheap and it's the only thing I really dislike about my car.

I was thinking I'd have them painted in purple haze (my orange cabrio had matching interior trim and I liked it a lot better), but since my current car's darker/more aggressive, I'm thinking the matte, textured CF may actually be a nicer alternative. I don't want to look like a "tooner dweeb" though, with all the unnecessary CF.

Does anyone have a photo of a CF-wrapped dash/door ovals in Mk.1 MINI? If you have this in your car, how did it hold up over time?

Thanks!

-Matt

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  3. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea Matt, no pictures, but a vote of support :) I also agree on your current dash not looking right that was a very strange option that some people love.

4. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Nice... I'm sold on the look. Now I just need to find out about durability. It *is* only patterned PVC, not actual CF cloth.

And best of all, if I hate it in a year or two or ever go to sell the car and the buyer actually *likes* the odd, stock dash, I can return it to stock in about 5 minutes.

Thanks!

-M

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Di-noc is a 3 dimensional patterned film that is very CF-ish in appearance, but not the real thing. Cost for the 3M product is also much cheaper than genuine CF.

6. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    People use the 3M stuff on the outside of their cars so I would not worry about it on the dash. Plus like you said if it wears out or you change your mind you just take it off and start over.

7. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  8. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    LOL... GellaSkins FTW!!! I had that on my phone for months! :)