1st Gen R53 Cooper S Coolant Bleeding and Power Steering Fan

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by JMC40, Mar 1, 2013.

1. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Ok so over the last couple of weeks I have been replacing many parts on my MINI, it is an 2002 R53. I have replaced the supercharger, water pump, thermostat and housing, etc. Anyway I finally got it all buttoned up last night and went to bleed the coolant. I brought the MINI up to temp with the heater/fan on high (I am getting good heat from the vent) with the bleed screw open and I never got any coolant out of it. I let it run for at least 30 min with no success. It did take close to 3L of 50/50 mix. It did not overheat and like I said I am getting heat from the vents. I am assuming I have some sort of airlock in the system. Any suggestions for the best way to resolve it so I can get it to bleed? Also my other issue is in all the parts I replaced I notice that the old power steering fan was no longer running so I replaced it. However the new fan is also not running. Is there a fuse for just the fan? I swear on my '04 the fan always was running. Is there something different on the '02, or do I have another issue? The power steering pump seems to be working fine and in all my parts replacement I did replace a leaking line and did bleed the system.

2. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    There is a 5 amp fuse for the PS fan...should replace that fuse when doing the PS fan

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Is the radiator fan cycling? The PS fan runs with the rad fan....

Sometimes it helps to go out and drive the car, rev it thoroughly, then come back and try to bleed it again.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    On the early MINI's the PS fan and rad fan were on the same circuit. Definitely check the fuse but I would also check to see if the new wiring harness was installed under a recall for the PS fan.

If I remember right, the PS fan only comes on when the high speed rad fan is needed.

5. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help! Funny thing is I just went out and cracked the bleed screw with it cold and coolant came pouring out. I will give it a good drive and check it again when I get home.

6. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it.

7. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I've an 02 & the PS fan only comes on w/ the high speed fan w/c seldom happens if your low speed is good. Since I bypassed the low speed fan resistor, I never/seldom get my high to get called, so I just wired a manual relayed switch to the PS fan.
    You may let the dealership rewire it like the facelift ones w/c come on when the lowspeed fan is called. I think they did that for free a while back.

8. JMC40

JMC40 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    O...H...!!
    Ratings:
    +373 / 0 / -0
    I didn't realize the early MINI's didn't run that fan most of the time. I will check with my local dealer about the retrofit, thanks.

9. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Aside from the PS fan, these are some of the differences 02s have w/ the newer 1s:
    -has sticking high speed fan relay by that lousy resistor
    -has inertia switch on the LH cowl
    -no hatch cable under rear seat
    -different gear ratios
    -has thicker strut fluid in sport suspension, firmer ride
    -has rubber upper engine mount that's less likely to leak
    -no PS fan shield
    -some have no brake pad wear sensors
    -5pc dash
    -no passenger seat weight sensor
    -uncoated charger
    -different shift mechanism
    -smaller antenna base

10. 1momini

1momini New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    mechanical contractor
    Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    How would one tell if this has been done. And where would this fuse be. The box by the clutch pedal just has some pictures. None of them looks like a PSP FAN. I took this thing down the road pushed hard as I could without running out of road 110 mph. Looked at the fan and it was not running the fax fan was cycling.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The PS fan will only come on when the high speed rad fan does, and it comes on with the A/C....

You could give the dealer a call and give them the VIN and they should be able to call up all of the recall/warranty work.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that our Nathan knows how to do that on line with out involving a dealership. Send him a PM.:Thumbsup:

Jason