Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Cooper S requirements for Lapping...

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Skyllz, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Skyllz

Skyllz New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Other then the usual fresh oils all around, good coolant, bleed the brakes with ATE Gold/Blue or something the likes and a good set of pads (I'm a fan of Hawks, HP+ and up).

Anything special required to know or do on a Cooper S for lapping on a hot day?

At what point in mods should I be concerned with cooling and get a better rad if required? Let's say 15% pulley, intake, exhaust and reflash for sake of comparison to stock. Those are the mods I am looking into to begin with.

Anything to watch out for specifically?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: One of the Track Guys(or Gals) will be along shortly. Also try our forums as I believe that there is a 'Track Section' .:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Tires, tyres, tars!

Good tread, summer rubber preferably but not required, take an air bottle along so you can adjust pressures a bit as needed along with a good pressure gauge, and a torque wrench to check your wheels before each run

If you can, buy a Schroth harness and of course a good fitting, current Snell rated helmet.

A clean windshield is a good thing, if yours is all pitted and you can get one thru your insurance for just a moderate deductible (mine's $100 - I get a new one every two to three years) it helps to be able to see where you're trying to go.

Lastly, patience. A big heaping helping of it. The biggest mistake I see new track "stars" making is trying to go fast before they're ready. Take your time, listen to the instructors and do what they say. You'll have a great time!

I never had a radiator overheating problem with mine and I've done track days when it's 100* or more with high humidity

If you're more experienced a good 19mm rear sway bar helps the car rotate and get the power down coming out of slower corners, and a set of lightweight wheels really wakes up the turn in and handling.

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Cooling is not really an issue for the car, for the driver it can be!

I've been on track on some 100+ degree days in Texas. Talk about some brutal fun.

To start off the car is more capable than you probably. Once you've had a few track days under your belt you will learn the weak areas that matter to you the most. Just remember each thing that makes you go faster identifies another thing that is slowing you down...the merry go round never stops.

5. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    My stock pads/rotors lived through my first track day. At my second track day I was cooking the brakes and had to take it easier than I would have preferred. For my third track day I upgraded to aftermarket rotors/pads.

As already stated cooling will not be a problem with the normal mods that you have suggested.

6. Skyllz

Skyllz New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good to know, thanks.

BTW, previous toys/lapping cars where Civics with dohc vtec swaps and Miatas, one with a turbo, my last one was mostly stock with a 6-speed, lsd and some R888s, tons of fun.

I've been around the track a few times ;)

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Then the thing that is probably gonna drive you nuts is no LSD, or the stock LSD going south after a few track weekends. Save your pennies for a good one.

8. Skyllz

Skyllz New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Then i should not bother trying to find a MCS with lsd from the get go then? They seem to be alot less common.

9. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    As is said above, the changes you have planned will do you well for now. The MCS is generally more car than most drivers can use for several track weekends (and mine continues to be more than I need even after 6-8 weekends at the track).

I haven't had a single issue w/ the factory LSD on my R53 and you are correct... they are not a very common option. IMHO, it was an easy $500 to spend, but many folks in the general public don't know what it does, so it was an unnecessary option for them.

If you can find the Schroth harness, I recommend it. I'm a big guy and was amazed at the amount of upper body strength I was using to hold myself upright. Holding yourself up w/ the wheel degrades your ability to steer precisely and feel everything that the car is telling you through the wheel, so strapping in tighter is very helpful. If you can't do that, consider the $40 on a CG lock... it's a nice bit of extra traction.

10. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Oh yeah... check your insurance policy!

Heaven forbid that you need it, but not every policy will cover damage done on a race track... even if it is an instructional event with no racing, no timers and controlled passing.

If you feel like you need it after talking to your insurance company, there are companies that sell track weekend insurance.

11. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    The stock LSD is much better than nothing. A good aftermarket LSD is an expensive part and it is a lot of labor to install. If you can find a MCS with a OEM LSD that would be a good.

12. Skyllz

Skyllz New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No worries on that part... when I put my car on a a track, it's because I am ready to walk away from it if SHTF. Hence why I'm not buying a newer car and the MCS slowly depreciating is starting to fall in line with the budget I have for this.

13. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I've also heard stories of the owner of a track-injured car slipping the track's tow truck driver a few extra bucks and having him drop the car on the side of the road, a few miles away from the facility. Just be sure to pull the numbers off befor you call AAA! :D

14. Skyllz

Skyllz New Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those stories are lies... it never happened... :lol:

15. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    These are not the droids you are looking for...

[​IMG]