2nd Gen R60 Countryman Countryman rear lights?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by CharlieVictor, May 13, 2011.

1. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I saw a picture of a European Countryman that appeared to have amber rear turn signals, whereas the ones I've seen in the US are red. Is this in fact the case? If so, I bet there would be a small market for those of us who prefer amber rear turns (as the owner of a 2011 Clubman, one of my minor niggles with the car is that the rear signals are red for 2011).

Also, I believe some European countries require rear fog lights, which the US Countryman doesn't have. Does the Countryman have rear fogs in Europe, or do they just not sell the car in those markets (seems unlikely)?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Hmmm, My R56 has rear fogs as a factory option. Have you checked to see if they are available as an option on the Countryman?:D

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I noticed the ones I saw did not have them either. I meant to ask at MOTD, but forgot. It is odd.

Jim

4. Walrond

Walrond New Member

May 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have looked into this and yes, the Euro version of the CM has amber rear turn signals and the rear fog light is incorporated into the left lens. I know of one person who has made the conversion and they could not figure out a way to retrofit the rear fog light so they ended up running a separate wire to activate it independently.

You might find this video enlightening: The MINI Countryman S Light Sequence

5. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    So, they are part of the tail light itself. Interesting, thanks for posting that.

Jim

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Yep, just looked at one in a parking lot in Harsewinkel, Germany. Amber turns and the fog light is incorporated in the left light. Camera is in my hotel room otherwise I would take a picture.

7. CharlieVictor

CharlieVictor New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 29, 2011
    SoCal
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Cool - thanks for the video link. The European Countryman is set up like my Clubman, with the rear fog on the left and reverse light on the right. I can kinda understand why MINI didn't do this in the US, since everyone thinks the Clubman has a bulb out anytime I put it in reverse.

8. MINIVITO

MINIVITO New Member

May 13, 2011
    Construction
    Madrid, Spain
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Charlie:

Indeed, as already mentioned, the rear fog lights are mandatory in Europe, but each country has its own laws.

Here in Spain, the law requires to carry at least one rear fog light on all cars that are manufactured and sold in our country.

Likewise, the law requires that turn signals front and rear are amber color, but in recent years, some exceptions are allowed and some cars have red lights in American style.

It's funny, you wondering our amber lights, and all MINI owners in Spain are looking to remove them, and install transparent light bulbs removing the ugly amber color of our optics. These bulbs, are only amber color when they are in operation.

Another curiosity. In Spain some of our users have the back side indicators in their cars, but can not make the electrical connection, because it´s illegal here. Can only use them as a catadioptric. (i dont know if this word exist in english :ihih::ihih::ihih:)

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah....
    It always seems like you want what you can't have.
    A lot of the european MINI owners want the US running lights that are built into the plastic fender arches. Some of the US MINI owners want the plain european arches without the lights.
    I myself am half european, so I'm thrilled that my US MINI has the fender arch lights.:D

10. MINIVITO

MINIVITO New Member

May 13, 2011
    Construction
    Madrid, Spain
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    So, you must use Half & Half in your coffee at Tim Horton's. :cornut:

Jim

12. camminich

camminich New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So, has anyone tried or thought of buffing/sanding the red out of the turn signal lense to make it clear? I have not even seen the inside of the new CM lense to know if this would be possible, but I have a glimmer of hope that I might be able to do this and then replace the bulb with an amber color. That way I would have a clear lense, and amber signals.

Crazy talk, or have a slight chance?

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I guess it is just me, but I don't have a problem with the amber turn signals or side markers and don't really even notice them. I have noticed that it does drive a lot of folks crazy however. :biggrin5:

Jim

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Typically, the tail light is made of several individual separate pieces put together as an assembly. The color of the individual part is all the same throughout that piece. If you were to try and sand or buff the part, thinking the color was a top coat, you would find the color never goes clear. It will just become thinner.