CPO Mini not covered by CPO warranty

Discussion in 'MINI' started by mschnitger, Dec 22, 2011.

1. mschnitger

mschnitger New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After searching I have not come across anyone else with this situation and would like to hear the collective opinions of the community.
    I purchased a Mini that was CPO Certified, however the BMW dealer never processed the paperwork for CPO coverage.
    The dealer where the car was purchased is going to offer an extended warranty in lieu of the CPO coverage the should have had. The mileage of the car currently is well within the CPO coverage.
    My question is what are my options? I am not really interested in an aftermarket warranty. How do you value the benefit of a CPO coverage plan? Last, hypothically is the purchase contract of a CPO car which never had CPO coverage still valid?
    Do I have a leg to stand on by offering/threatning to return the car which was purchased as a CPO Cerfitied but the paperwork was never completed by the dealer?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Have you called MINI to discuss?

866-ASK-MINI

3. gds194

gds194 New Member

Sep 26, 2011
    None
    Centennial CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Was it invoiced as CPO? If so, I would think legally he needs to process the paperwork to make it so.

4. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Actually the aftermarket warranty could work out in your favor. With an aftermarket warranty you can take your MINI anywhere you don't have to go to the dealer. CPO has to go to the dealer. Just make sure the aftermarket warranty they get you has a zero deductable, and has the highest coverage for everything, and you should be able to get one that is longer than the CPO. The dealer owes it since they messed up.

5. mschnitger

mschnitger New Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have called Mini who refers me back to the dealer. Mini at this point will not cover the car as a CPO because of the mileage.
    My concern is it took a 1 1/2 days to get the repairs covered the last time the car was in for service so I do not have a lot of confidence that the dealer will promptly step up to the plate if there is a next time.
    After my experience a "sorry our mistake" is not enough, the current Sales Manager keeps saying he was not in his position when the mistake was made, he has done all he can do.
    I do not have the confidence that a notation in the Mini system saying that they, the dealer will cover the associated costs of repairs which would be covered under the CPO plan is not reassuring.
    After spending sometime thinking about it is probably the best I am going to get but why should I have to settle for something less than what was paid for because of a mistake that they have admittedly made.
    Nothing that this dealer has done previously or concerning this issue has left with a feeling of confidence that they will stand behind their offer.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Return it or contact a lawyer.

7. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    If you paid for the warranty but the dealer never set it up in the system then you should have an excellent legal case. The dealer will lose.

8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Sure... he has a sound legal case, but what will he win in exchange for thousands in legal fees?

Examine the offered warranty... if it has good coverage, as mentioned above, you may come out on top.

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Before you sign do a little research on the warranty company. There are a heck of a lot of them out there and some are not as reputable as others.

If you want to take the legal route then contact your states Attorney General office.