Question Cracked radiator support, critical or trivial?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by HillbillyChili, Jun 26, 2018.

1. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Hey all you fine motoring folk. I was checking over my Mini as many of us do to pass the time and of course found another thing wrong with it.

I see that my radiator support is cracked slightly in the front and I wanted to know how critical this was. Do I need to replace it now or can I wait until next time I have the car in front end service mode already? Likely to be within the next few months. In the picture I tried to circle where it was cracked.

If I don't replace it right away what could happen? Doesn't seem like it is adding much vibration with car running but that does not guarantee what it is doing at highway speeds...

Let me know your thoughts on it, I'm still finding these little "surprises" that the PO left me on this car. I appreciate the help everyone!

Thanks,
    HC

Attached Files:

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    You should be fine for a few months. I had a big crack in mine for a while ago and did not fix it for a year. I used some strips on thick metal and sandwiched it and drilled and bolted the area closed so it did not break all the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    mine was busted completely on one side after nailing a deer at 75mph. As long as I didn't take the part off I didn't even know it was broken. On the next full front end service, I replaced it with the cheapest part I could find on Amazon. More or less identical with OEM and has held up fine over 3 years now.

4. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! I'm thinking it can wait then until the next time I have it torn apart. Just really great to keep finding things like this!

5. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    also, note that this part doesn't really support the radiator at all. The radiator primarily rests on two mounts that hold it to the frame rails of the car. The only thing that I can tell is fully supported by this plastic frame are the fog lights. It stabilizes the radiator in the vertical orientation, but it doesn't "support" its weight.

It does stabilize a lot of stuff and provide a shroud for the radiator, but for the most part it has no major structural function. Mine was broken driver's side at the top where the bumper bolts on top of it as well as at the bottom corner of radiator and AC condenser. The deer (dead before I hit it) tore into that area so hard, that without the plastic taking a hit, I would have lost my AC, possibly my radiator.

when I finally took it off, the part was barely holding together and with little effort it was broken in two so fit into the recycling bin.

6. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Haha, what a great name for it then "radiator support". I will wait to replace it as it isn't too cracked. And I'll also watch out for roadkill!

7. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I take back some of my description - the radiator definitely sits within that plastic "radiator support" frame, while the AC condenser is hanging off it on those bolts I thought support the whole radiator section. These bolts are on the radiator, not the car's frame.

The part of that plastic frame that is structurally important really are the two top corners of the radiator where these rubber corner pads are pegged to the plastic support. If you've ever taken it off you know what I mean.

here's an image found on this forum that shows those two corners. The bolts I was talking about are about 4" below the circled corners that support the radiator

[​IMG]

Being tucked in between the two frame rails, this area of the plastic support part is the least likely to crack or break as it is the strongest and recessed into a protected space behind very strong parts. The bottom really does very little to support the weight of these parts, as you have to wedge foam in there to get the proper air flow.

What broke on mine was all at the bottom where the (Ford F150-tenderized and already dead) deer went under the car, and the area that supports the driver's fog light. That outside section was almost completely separated from the core, but the fender well pins held it from behind and kept it all in place for many months and thousands of miles. I knew that part was busted, while any other damage was hard to spot until I actually removed the whole thing. The entire front end is a complete sandwich of many things, from bumper shell to aluminum bumper rail to that plastic frame and then the car steel structure. It really takes a lot of damage to have that all fall apart. I am sure basic cracks can be temporarily secured with a few rivets and straps, just like some body kits are riveted to car bodies

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Super glue or JB Weld it and call it good! :D