CSA (Community-supported agriculture), I Joined One

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Recent events in my health have led me to a dietary change. It's time to stop the fast food, delivered crap and various other ways I was eating and get back to a more healthful diet. I like veggies and I have the chops to cook, but I was being lazy. As those who have seen me can attest, I'm not svelte. It's time for a change.

So...I joined a CSA where every week I get a bag full of whatever is fresh off the farm. This particular one is a bit of hybrid being it is run out of a Produce Market and not directly from a farm. One gets a larger selection this way and is sheltered somewhat from the vagarities of a failure of a crop at a single farm.

What was in this weeks bag you ask...

Sweet Corn and Fairytale Eggplant from Bird's Haven Farm

A Chard / Kale mix from Dangling Carrot Farm

Roma Tomato's

Green Beans

Red Norland Potatoes

Rosemary Sprigs from Jorgensen Farms

Italian Eggplant

Loring and Red Haven Peaches from Hirsch Fruit Farm

Now the fun part starts, figuring out tasty dishes to make with these items.

The cost is not bad, $20 a week, I am on a 4 week trial, if I like doing the CSA thing I'll sign up for the full 26 weeks.

Obligatory MINI content, the woman that owns the Produce Market owns a MINI.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Well done Nathan! The challenge is figuring out tasty ways to use up all the produce each week so you get the most for your $.

I just heard about these things a couple weeks ago. Going to look for options here in MD. :Thumbsup:

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, I have a subscription to this magazine. There are NO ADDS, just tips and meals. There is always a "healthy" section. I highly recommend it. :Thumbsup:

Cuisine at home Magazine

Jim

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: What with Heart Disease, Diabetes, high Cholesterol........................I need to be doing more of that myself Nathan. Maybe I could turn a handful of pills twice a day into half a handful and lose that 15lbs the Doc has been harping about. Life goes on.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Just think of all the free HP we will all gain from loosing a few pounds of unsprung weight.

I know I could stand to loose a few pounds also but I am not drinking light beer.

Good luck on your new dietary change Nathan we all want you to stay around a long time.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    CSA's are fantastic! As long as you can actually use the products they offer. The ones offered around here are fairly limited in produce, BUT the farmers markets we have around have a much better selection. We have even started canning some products and this has been a great change. You can actually save money on some products over buying them in cans from the store. Pickles, so far, are my favorite ! The wife is just finishing up canning 15 lb's of pickling cucumbers and I can't wait to get to them.

7. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:(THREADJACK) Great! Kosher Dills? I realize that you probably don't have a Rabbi to supervise and inspect your kitchen; that's just my favorite flavor.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I would visit a good farmer's market every week. The problem is most of the stuff at our local market looks like they get their stuff off the same trucks that deliver to the supermarkets. Tastes the same too...

Much better when the Amish farmer's market down the road gets up to full swing. All great stuff, most picked the morning you buy it. That will keep me going through this fall and I plan to join a CSA in the spring. :Thumbsup:

9. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    We do the 26 week Bird's Haven Farms CSA. This was out first year and we have been impressed with the quality. We have even gotten 10 dozen ears of freezer corn and canned a bunch of tomatoes.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Well, there is dill in them..........:biggrin5:

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Not to enamored with this weeks selection. You would think that there would still be lots of fresh local produce in Central Ohio even in early September.

Contents Included:

Ground Cherries (aka Gooseberries) from Bridgman Farm in Washington Court House, OH

Corn Tortilla Chips from Shagbark Mill and Seed in Athens, OH

Flat Rock Cheese from Canal Junction Farmstead Cheese in Defiance, OH

Nebraska Wedding Golden Tomatoes from Slocal Partners in OH

Blue Gold Potatoes from Farmer Bob Steinberger and Slocal Partners in Fremont, OH

Traviata Italian Eggplant from Wayward Seed Farm in Marysville, OH

Champagne Grapes

Boston Bibb Lettuce from Van Scoy Farms in Ridgeway, OH

Oh well, we'll see what next week has to offer. But...I'll still make good use of this weeks selections. Not sure what to do with the Corn Chips though, not a fan of them at all.

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This week was much better than last weeks. No eggplant this week!

We have:

Creme de Ewe from Lucky Penny Creamery in Garrettsville, OH - Have yet to open this, looks like some sort of cream type cheese. I assume from sheeps milk being its got the Ewe in the name.

Green Beans from Michael Farms in Urbana, OH

Reba White Potatoes from Farmer Bob Steinberger and Slocal Partners in Fremont, OH

Spaghetti Squash from Wayward Seed Farm in Marysville, OH

Jonathan Apples from Bauchman's Farm in Carroll, OH

Green Bell Peppers from Dangling Carrot Farm in Williamsport, OH - Yeah, not a fan, traded these in on Red Peppers.

Heirloom Tomatoes from Dangling Carrot Farm in Williamsport, OH - These are darn good, very ugly looking, colors are odd, but dang are they tasty!

I buy my eggs from here as well. This might be the last week for a while as I was informed the Chickens met an untimely end. However, there is a very happy family of fat Coyotes running around Central Ohio.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is my fourth week and the last of my trial period. I'm going to re-up for the remainder of the Summer Market bag that ends on November 5th.

This week is going to be a bit of a challenge as there are things in it I've never used or have no real experience in using the item.

We have:

Pie Pumpkins - New England Baby Pam variety from Yoder Family Farm in Millersburg, OH - This is something I have very little experience with. Normally one would make pies with these but the last thing I need is a whole pie in the house. Going to experiment with roasted pumpkin and chiles.

Living Lettuce - from Van Scoy Farms in Ridgeway, OH

English Cucumbers - from Van Scoy Farms in Ridgeway, OH

Spelt Berries - from Stutzman Farms in Millersburg, OH - Totally new to me.

Italian Eggplant - from Slocal Partners in Marysville, OH

Golden Grimes Apples - from Hirsch Fruit Farm in Chillicothe, OH - Who doesn't like apples right from the grower. Yum

German Extra Hardy Garlic - from Dangling Carrot Farm in Williamsport, OH

Heirloom Tomatoes - from Dangling Carrot Farm in Williamsport, OH - I've been getting these for a few weeks anyway when I produce shop. They are ugly, but oh so tasty.

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I thought spelt was a kind of grain, never heard of spelt berries. :skep:

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The berries are actually the whole kernels of the spelt seeds.

16. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    What the heck are you doing with all that eggplant? I've never had an eggplant dish I liked. This is the one worry I have about buying into a CSA. If I go to the store or a farmer's market I come home with stuff I know I'll use.

17. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    It's a good point as we have gotten a few different things that we haven't used such as Swiss chard. We probably won't do it again next year.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The last eggplant was turned into a veggie lasagna where the slices of roasted eggplant were used as the pasta. It was quite good and it was so large I was able to make one last for 3 meals this past week and 1/2 pan sized one that's in the freezer for winter user.

I see it as a challenge to use all the products in the basket. It takes me out of my normal meal time comfort zone and forces me to find ways to use to items I'd never buy.

The time there was a Chard/Kale mix it took that, sauteed it with a bit of olive oil, onion, chiles and garlic, finished with some fresh lemon juice. It was quite good and not something I would have normally made.

The only item that had me really stumped was the gooseberries. Not wanting to make a tart or jam I ended up going far outside the box with these by making a "salsa" with mango, habanero, red onion and cilantro. It's been excellent over light fleshed fish such as turbot, trout and flounder.

My four week trial has ended, and I have signed up for the remainder of this season that goes until Nov 5. I will sign up again for the next season.

19. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Nathan, I'm thoroughly impressed:Thumbsup:. I couldn't bring myself to go to that much trouble preparing food that I actually like. " Jason, are the coals ready for broiling the steaks yet?" "No, Margi but it doesn't matter. I was so hungry that I ate them a la Steak Tartar:drool. Do you think that I'll get Trichinosis or Mad Cow Disease?":nonod::lol::frown2:

Jason

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Well Jason, I had to do something. I was eating myself into an early grave. I'm not ready for that yet, M/A is just to darn much fun.

I have the luxury of working form home so it makes it easy to prepare meals. like today, while I'm not really working it is an example of how effortlessly I can whip up tasty stuff that is good for me too.

Started this morning in a crock pot. Beef short ribs, onions, coffee, garlic honey, re-hydrated Ancho chiles and some home made beef stock. 8 Short hours later I'll have beef on a stick! Strain the liquid when done, reduce to about 1/3 and there is the gravy. No flour, no added sugars. About noonish I soaked some spelt berries, and about an hour before I want to eat I'll drain, rinse and cook that off. There are string beans that have already been topped and blanched in the fridge. A few minutes in a saute pan with a splash of lemon and Chile Garlic paste has me a satisfying meal that good for me too.

The pizza guy misses me...They sent all kinds of coupons. So as not to even be tempted they went right in the shredder.