1st Gen R50 Cooper Dealer/Transmission/Warranty Question

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by desertrose, Jan 11, 2014.

1. desertrose

desertrose New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello! my question is - does anyone know what a standard warranty is on a transmission that was replaced by the dealer? it was a used transmission they replaced my faulty one with. i am aware of the cvt problems and class action, and will probably file (altho, my exact problem isn't one of the boxes i can check on the lawsuit). but right now i'm in a semantics/ethical fight with my dealer.

when the work was done originally, my service rep told me we had a 2 year warranty. when it failed 9 months later, the rep said she never said that it had a 2 year warranty. she said it, in fact, it had no warranty except for what little we had left on our bought warranty, which expired like 2 months after the replacement. that's insane, i told them, it has to have a warranty. nope, no warranty. after a couple weeks and several phone calls and visits, they found a little line on their paper work that said it had a 1year/12k mile warranty. wow, what do you know, so there IS a warranty! but, we had exceeded the 12k, tho, probably put more like 20k on it (it's our commuter car!).

so basically, i need to find out if there really was a 2 year warranty and how to prove it. i was an idiot, i know, not to get what she said in writing. i assumed it was in my paperwork some where, but it isn't. should i write to the regional manager? all else fails, i believe i will be covered under the class action lawsuit which states any replaced transmission will have a 3 year/50k warranty, but that will take more time and i'm not even sure how to get my dealer to comply on that one!

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know all MINI replacement parts in the US are covered by a 2 Year Warranty. However, before reciting that as gospel call MINI US 866-ASK-MINI during normal business hours and ask the the length/miles of replacement part warranty. I would only ask that info, not get into your current issue with the dealer...yet.

You said they put in a used CVT?

Was that under the standard and/or MINI sourced Extended Warranty period?

I ask it that way for the following reasons. If it was a MINI Branded Warranty why in the heck did they use a used CVT as opposed to a MINI sourced rebuilt one. If it is a 3rd party extended warranty, I think you are SOL here. Who knows what these third party warranties stipulate.

3. desertrose

desertrose New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you for you insight, nathan! do u live on here? lol! unfortunately, it was a 3rd party extended warranty (we bought the car 5 years old) but we bought the warranty thru the mini dealer. it does SEEM like if you get work done at the dealer, it should have that standard warranty! at the time of the replacement, we were told that it would cost us like $4000 to have a brand new transmission put in (warranty would pay the rest) or it would be covered free if we opted for a used transmission. of course we took the used option, and thought we would be good for 2 years like she told us. we totally planned on dumping the car before that warranty period was up cause w/out a good warranty u r a fool to own one with the cvt, as we have now learned!

i will def call that # and ask w/out going into details, and if they say 2 years i want to get it in writing!

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think you misunderstood them, the 2 year warranty is on new parts, with used parts your warranty is whatever the used part seller wants to give, but no way it would be over 20K miles.....I'm surprised it's even 90 days let alone a year.

If you have a CVT you may qualify for some reimbursement under the terms of the warranty extension program currently in effect on those transmissions. I know it's no consolation, but a lot of mfrs who offered CVTs in that era have had major issues with them, it's not just MINI.

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I agree with Minidave on this one (sorry) but 2 years only covers new MINI parts installed by the dealer.

Sorry about your situation hope you get any help you can from the dealer.

6. desertrose

desertrose New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you dave.0 and minidave. i wanted to get some informed opinions before i went storming back to the dealer. actually, my interaction with them has been very good, they keep telling me they are on my side. so, anyone know a good link to some info on how long u can drive on a bum transmission? first time it went out, it wouldn't shift right. this time, it drives fine but is making a gawd awful noise, like a growling sound that changes pitch with the "gear" shifts. also seems to be leaking a little fluid. like i said, it's my commuter, so i kinda need to drive it. also, anyone know how much it would cost to put in a manual? or, how much to put in a manual *after* the tranny blows up? lol! thx for the help and your compassion!

7. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Look up Way Motor Works, they've done a few of the conversions I believe, and they'll know what it entails and costs.

As for driving it - I wouldn't. if it's making that kind of noise it will fail catastrophically, maybe at a very inopportune time.

I'm afraid I'd see about a rental car (or a loaner from your dealer if they're going to do the work) till you get this sorted out.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well for me I would never drive it again. If you have a good relationship with your dealer see if they will help you move into a non CVT car off the lot (new or used / MINI or Non MINI) and let the dealer deal with the CVT trans.

Just remember in the end it's a 9 year old car with how many miles? Do you really want to dump ALOT of money into it?

I know it my not be the best option but sometimes it better to just walk away especially if you need this car as a reliable daily driver.

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Good point......:Thumbsup:

10. desertrose

desertrose New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok, i'm gonna park it while i consider my options. thx guys, it is so helpful to have input. btw, it has 64K on it now. we bought it 5 years old with 13K. we were told it was the test drive car from it's original dealer in another state. had 42K when it failed the first time, 17K on the replaced tranny. only have 3 payments left, too :sad: