2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Depression is Setting In

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by MikeMiniJCW, Nov 16, 2011.

1. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Took delivery of my new 2012 MINI Cooper JSW on Friday. This morning I woke up to a nail in my right front run flat. I declined the tire insurance ($1600 add-on) at the time of sale so I am out of pocket some cash. After reading the bad reviews on the OE tire: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT (Max Performance Summer) 205/45R17, I got cold feet about replacing it for $425 (with balancing, etc.). So I decided to got with a non-Run Flat.

I ordered the Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Ultra High Performance All-Season) 205/45ZR17. They have excellent reviews and I get four for a little over the cost of the single run flat. I'll let you know how they perform when I get my car back. The silver lining is that I will have a summer set (once I replace the damaged tire) and all season set to ride through this winter.

The dealer is really cool about it. Even told me that he'd make sure the rental was covered even if the drop shipment that I ordered takes longer than if they had ordered them.

Here's a weird fact: my dealer will not order non-OE tires for any replacements. They are ok with installing but refuse to order them. The service guy told me this was a recent change with an overall change in the dealer's management. It likely has to do with the margins they get with the exclusive tire provider they signed up with.

2. minintrigue

minintrigue Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Banker
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    you should be excited to be getting rid of your run flats so soon! It will dramatically improve your ride, and maybe you can sell the other 3 run flats and come out ahead?

3. SNEEEZY - Erika

SNEEEZY - Erika M/A Wrenchin' Babe!
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 27, 2009
    Female
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0 / -0
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinking, too!

4. cop1406

cop1406 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Oink Oink
    Sonora, CA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yep, sold mine, bought new Hancook non run flats and made $50.00 on the deal. Sweet...

5. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0

exactly

OP, I had the same RF's, replaced with the same Conti's you will have, and what a VAST improvement in ride quality! The "loss" in stiffness/handling is so minimal, it's a non issue.

6. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    And I thought that you weren't supposed to mix runflats with non-runflats (but that's just a vague memory... I can't remember where I heard/read it).

7. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Well assuming they were not crappy Kuhmo or Pirelli runflats and the nail was in the tread they CAN be patched. The Dunlop and Conti RFTs are repairable.

That being said, I ditched my runflats before I hit 3k miles. The ride is better and tires are much cheaper. Yes, you lose the peace of mind having runflats. I have two cans of TPMS safe Fix-a-Flat (Sold at my local MINI Dealer...).

You can mix them but the ride would be akward.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Nothing to be depressed about. I had tires waiting for me the day I picked up my second Mini. No run flats in my house hold. But to even things out I got hit by a rock on day 6 of ownership which required a new windshield. At least the R56's don't suffer the R53 windshield gremlins. Those would crack as soon as you look at them.

9. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had the Dunlops

They insisted that they were not repairable.

10. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Who was "they"? The dealer?

I was at my local Dicount Tire Dealer last year and they had a chart (internal) that showed which RFT tires could be patched (barring any other problems). Dunlop, Conti, Yokohama were on the okay list from what I recall and Pirelli and Kuhmo were on the non-approved list. There were others on both sides but I don't recall them all. My tire guy said it had to do with how each company created the run flat effect.

BTW, I forgot to mention: The Conti DWS tires are AWESOME. I bought those for my fiancee's Subaru WRX for her time back east. Not as good as snow tires for the real thing but great in wet, slush, and cold. You won't be disapointed. :Thumbsup:

11. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Patch the runflat

Go to a Discount tire store and let them put a patch on the inside of that tire.

If you get the non-runflats you need to get some Slime and the air pump. Slime will not ruin the sensors like fix-A-flat will.

:beer

12. Redbeard

Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    The new Fix-a-flat is rated for TPMS sensors now. :Thumbsup:

I sent an inquiry to Dunlop and recieved this response:

RMA Repair guidelines: RMA Tire Repair Guidlines

13. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Crap. I just gave away a tire I could fix!?!

14. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT 205/45R17

Anyone know if this pertains to the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT (Max Performance Summer) 205/45R17?

15. MikeMiniJCW

MikeMiniJCW New Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Consultant
    Northern Virginia
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Continentals are GREAT! Same low profile, etc. Higher speed rating and tread ware (50,000 miles) than the Bridgestones at a fraction of the cost.

As for handling - slightly less stiff than the RFTs <-- to be expected.

Best of all, if I pick up another screw or nail, I can fix them. I would recommend anyone looking to get rid of their RFTs to give them serious consideration.

One other point: TireRack.com has never let me down for price or delivery.