Different process for a black roof?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Scot, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Scot

Scot New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    server admin
    Fairfield,CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Considering I have invested in Prima products. My CR mini with a black roof will be here in a couple days. I had planned on using Amigo and than Epic initially. I thought I could than use Hydro or Banana gloss weekly to maintain the finish. Would you use this process on both the red and black portions of the car equally or maybe banana gloss is better for one color and hydro for another? I have ordered the Banana gloss but really havent figured out how it is going to fit into my process.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    No need to use Banana Gloss weekly, as it lasts 6-8 weeks. Yes you would treat the roof the same as the body paint.

Mark

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Mark, do you treat horizontal panels differently than vertical? I know they used to fade faster so needed more protection. At least in the past.

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    About the only thing I do is put an extra layer of sealant on the bonnet, as it gets the brunt of road crap.

One thing I do though, when washing/drying, is to wipe in a front to rear direction on horizontal surfaces, and a up down direction on vertical surfaces. The reason is if there is any micro scratching going on, and it will happen at times, they show up less if running front to back rather side to side on horizontal surfaces, and horizontal scratches really look bad on vertical surfaces. I tend to let the RO do any rotational motions on the paint.

Mark

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Scot, a few more points. Epic is a very long lasting sealant, 6 months protection no problem, and can last up to a year in some conditions.

Hydro is used by most people when they wash, or maybe every other wash, sprayed on the paint while it is still wet from rinsing, then you dry as per normal. It adds some extra protection, thus making the primary sealant last longer, and it adds some depth to certain darker colours. It can also be used as a Quick Detailer(QD) for spot cleaning between washes. I use it when all I have to do is dust the car. Some folks just use Hydro as their primary sealant/wax.

Banana Gloss(BG) is used by most folks as a booster to help the primary sealant last longer. I apply it about every 6 weeks or so, or if I'm going to an event and I want the paint looking it's best. It can be applied in direct sun, which is a big plus, and it can be applied almost down to freezing temps. It takes about 1/2 an hour to apply and buff off by hand, wonderful stuff, and the carnuba blended into it again looks great on darker colours. Your black roof will look about a foot deep:D It also has some fillers in it that help mask any swirls that may appear between mayor details. Again, some folks us it as their primary protection.

You should really consider claying the car before polishing/wax. Even brand new paint has embedded containment's from the factory/shipping.

Mark

Mark

6. Scot

Scot New Member

Dec 30, 2009
    server admin
    Fairfield,CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks alot! that is a good general outline for the uses of each. So far based on different threads this will be my sequence the first time:

Wash with dawn
    Clay
    Wash with Mystique
    Amigo with PC
    Epic with PC

On subsequent washings I will use Hydro and now I can add using Banana Gloss every six weeks.

Thanks

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Looks good, your going to love the results. Show us pics, we love pics of shiny things here:cornut:

Mark

8. Elwood

Elwood New Member

May 5, 2009
    Colorado
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Consider adding a Swirl step between the Mystique wash (which I would skip) and the Amigo. That is the process I used last time, and it came out awesome. WAY better than last time when I did clay, then Finish, then Epic. Swirl is a great addition!

Does everyone but me apply Epic with a polisher? Does it work better? Maybe I will try that next time. I'm gonna need some more pads!

9. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Elwood, Scot will be working on brand new paint, so barring any bad DIS(Dealer Induced Swirls:incazzato::mad2::mad5:) Swirl is probably not needed, as the Amigo should take care of any minor imperfections. I do a wash after claying, but that's just me.

I have applied Epic both by hand and machine, and to be honest I don't "See" any real difference. I think what is important is to get good coverage of the product.

Mark

10. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Lotsie and Scot for your suggestions. My MINI is hibernating for the winter. Keeping the salt off her. But I'm going to treat her to a Spa this Spring. I wanted to use some good waxes and wasn't sure which direction to go.

I just placed my order with Nick @ Prima and went with the same;
    Epic
    Mystique
    Amigo
    Banana Gloss
    :Thumbsup:

11. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Add some Hydro if you can before they ship your order.

Mark

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Thanks, Lotsie, I just called Nick back and he was able to add the Hydro before the order shipped.

M/A is GREAT:smilewinkgrin:

13. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Another example of how well our vendors take care of us

:Thumbsup:

Mark

14. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I know its verging on heresy but I started using Griot's Best in Show after Epic/in lieu of Banana Gloss and I was really happy with the results

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great!!! Sort of what it is all about, try stuff, see what works for you. Only issue I have, Groits is not a vendor, nor do they offer any support on the different boards. I don't have much experience with their products, but a lot of it looks kind of cheap, as in off-shore made.

Just my 01c, 02c cost more:Thumbsup:

Mark

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    They are very quick to turnaround orders, I haven't tested their customer service. Don't think they could touch Nick and Heather!

I've tried several of their products and all seem high quality.

Your right they are kinda pricey

If your really nice I'll let you try the Best of Show at your favorite price!

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great. I have heard good things about it.

Have you tried anything other than their QD, detailing chemicals?

Mark

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    OutMotoring carries Groits. And Groits does do quite a bit for the automotive community as a whole.

it is one of the top tier product lines for the most part, on par with Prima, Zymol, Zanio etc.

19. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I picked up their plastic cleaner and polish for the speedo/tach and gloss plastic panels on the dash and doors. Worked very well taking out scratches and giving a real nice polish.

I got some of their tire dressing to try against the Zaino however haven't tried yet.

Basically I look to them for stuff outside of the Prima line with the exception of the aforementioned best of show. The glossy Ferrari on their ad sucked me in!

20. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    First of all, modern paint doesn't really fade--atleast not in the way we normally associate it. It does tend to accumulate above surface bonded contaminants more due to gravity which can give the appearance of faded/dull paint.

In the days of single stage paints, paints without a clear coat during the 1980's and earlier, the paint oxidized quickly if you didn't wax it, and red turned pink, black turned grey.

With clear coats, the color is sealed in with paint, but the clear coat paint gets scratched, marred, contaminated, and that affects how the color underneath it looks.

Now I'm not saying that the paint won't fade. Anyone who has removed vinyl stripes off their MINI after a couple years has seen how the protected area looks different. Part of it is due to the clear coat imperfections, and part of it really is due to a difference in paint, though I've seen this more visibly in metallic paints. In fact, I removed a factory stripe off a customers car that was only a few months old, and I could still see a difference even after polishing, though the difference was very slight.

So to answer your question, the best thing to do is uniform protection. Make sure that you have applied the wax so there are no holes or missed areas. Apply the wax twice and if you've got a PC that's even better for thin uniform coverage.

Richard