1st Gen GP Diffuser and Exhaust upgrade on GP

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by GP Steve, May 11, 2010.

1. GP Steve

GP Steve New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    View of a recently installed diffuser and new straight exhaust on my GP with little modification.

Attached Files:

2. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So I take it you have to cut the battery box for the exhaust. Where did you put the battery. I like that you don't have to cut the fascia looking at the pic, only the lower panel. Can you get a pic of the diffuser under the car.

Thanks for the post.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Was that exhaust custom made then? What exactly did it all entail?

4. GP Steve

GP Steve New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    We did cut a small tunnel through the battery box, but once we looked at the path of the exhaust pipe we thought we could have probably avoided the battery box (or altered it less) without worring about the pipe hanging too low. We installed a small Odyssey race battery in the same box to the right of the pipe. Saved weight with smaller battery and straight exhaust.
    The only portion of the facia cut was the center portion (easy to replace) and it cuts like butta.
    Once I return home I will try to get foto's of the underneath and its blending of the belly pans.

5. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks

I like what I see but I don't want to get rid of my RMW race exhaust with twin mufflers. I'll have to see what Joel has in hand this weekend. All this aero stuff looks very promising......

6. GP Steve

GP Steve New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I've definitely noticed the difference between the weight savings and the diffuser working with the belly pans. I know Group 4 is trying to get around the muffler situation so that people with the dual muffler set up wont have to give them up.

7. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Did you also get the frt splitter. When I talked to Joel and Graham they didn't recommend the splitter without the diffuser. Too much downforce from the splitter and the back end would feel loose without the diffuser. Glad to see people really working with their products. :D

8. GP Steve

GP Steve New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I wanted to get a splitter but I have a nasty enterance to my driveway at home so decided not to. If I had upgraded to a more useable wing, then I would have to get a splitter too to balance the downforce across the vehicle.
    But they are on the list.

9. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You'll have more downforce when the GP wing extension gets done. Thanks again for the pics.

10. oxtox

oxtox New Member

May 12, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 Hope G4 is listening.

11. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We're listening!

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Here's the rub: I'm not sure how effective a diffuser is going to be with twin mufflers. I have the JCW exhaust--not sure how the RMW system compares, but I figure those mufflers are probably smaller, so you might be alright--but the JCW mufflers hang down pretty low; I suspect they'll really compromise a diffuser's ability to do much.

Any opinions on which aftermarket exhaust would be the most "diffuser friendly" and still offer reasonable performance?

13. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    We have designed our own stainless steel exhaust systems for R53s & R56s. There are 3 different noise levels from quiet to loud and different style tips. My fav. is the twin 3" double rolled flared tip :Thumbsup:.
    With the loss of weight and gain of HP my stock "S" keeps up with beefed-up cars.

Mark
    Group4

14. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It would be good to get a photo of the RMW muffler setup. We already know what the JCW/GP setup is.

15. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The back section is a Magnaflow setup. I'll see if Joel can get some pics this weekend.
    There is 3 different setups, most common is the rear Magnaflow.

16. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    You selling these too?:D Might be the easiest work around in the long run if you have something that works well and plays nice with the diffuser...

17. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I haven't seen this much posting here EVER
    G4 must have caught eveyone's attention. :D

18. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The exhaust systems came about because of the diffusers and future belly pans. We are also working on CAI systems to work with the exhausts.
    Suprise---we never stop developing, one thing just leads to another :idea:
    All exhaust systems are straight back leaving both sides open :D

Mark
    Group4

19. GP Steve

GP Steve New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The exhaust on my GP is one of Group 4's and is one of the louder versions they have come up with, also with a choice of tips. I enjoy laying on the throttle to hear the roar and the burble and crackling.:arf:
    But after having the JCW exhaust, the Group 4's quiet choice still sounds nicer than the JCW's! IMO!

Attached Files:

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Wow, you guys at Group 4 seem to have roared onto the MINI scene.:D Did Christmas get moved up early on the calendar? Can't wait to see your web store. It's looking like you really may have done your homework. Sure sounds like the beginning of a great supplier, and also to be listening to the MINI community.:Thumbsup: