Brakes Wheels 1st Gen Tires DIY tire balancing.

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by goaljnky, May 14, 2010.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I've been thinking about this for a while. I will usually end up re-balancing my tires 3-4 times during it's life. I find that as I wear down the thread, the tires get out of balance and start to shimmy.

Nate and I have discussed this and he pointed me to some tools that allow you to DIY. Between two cars and what shops around here charge for balancing, this could be money saver. Not to mention that it would probably extend the life of the tire.

Does anyone here do this?

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Have any of you ever heard of or used tire beads?

I'll find the link, but this guy seems on the level and seems to really believe these work.......

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This is the tool we were discussing. Its a bubble balance.

[​IMG]

4. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0

:Thumbsup::Thumbsup:

You can't go wrong with a bubble balance!

Buy a variety of wheel weights and you are good to go.

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    So do you need to be on a level floor, or is this self balancing? Also, I am reading that bubble balancers are fine for static balancing, but not so much for dynamic? Is that much of a concern?

6. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not to rain on the DIY parade, but Discount Tire rotates and balances tires for free if you buy from them. I think it's about $50 for life-of-the-tire service if you bought elsewhere.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The balancer has adjusters at the bottom to first center your bubble.
    The biggest concern will be in the location of your weights.

A bubble balance is static or manually achieved and a Dynamic is on a wheel machine that spins the assembly and finds the location and size for weight placement. With practice and comparing a bubble(static) to a machine (Dynamic) you should with a little practice achieve the same zero balanced results.
    I have been doing my own bubble balance for year only because I do not also trust that the tire technician takes the extra moment to re calibrate the Dynamic Wheel Balancer for my job.:eek:ut:

I know that you will be able to accurately balance your own wheel with bubble balancer.
    :Thumbsup:

8. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Sometimes old tech is the best tech............I used to use one of these every day back in the mid-late 60's.

However, if they didn't run smoothly we'd get out the powered balancer - it spun the tire up to 100mph or more and would find the balance point down to a tiny fraction of an ounce. It was pretty cool cause sometimes it would be smooth at some speeds and vibrate like crazy at others. It was especially good for wire wheels on Jags and such....

9. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sorry guys

I don't think the bubble will do a good job on a wheel. You may get close, but it's only sensitive to radial weight distribution, not distribution along the axis of rotation. If you do things like a hunter road force system, not only will you get the radial weight distribution, and the axial distribution, but you'll also detect tire out of round and hard spots where they don't flex well (more common on cheaper tires where belts overlap). Also, a good shop with good tools can match the radia wheel offest with the radia tire offset (after all, nothing is perfect) to really minimize overall tire/wheel radial offset. the shop I use that can do this only really reccomends this for cars that see real high speed use though...

But in the price vs performance, I don't know which is the best way to go. And really, you can always use the bubble and if you can't get rid of all vibration pay up for a road force job...

Matt

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0

11. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    My thought is to use this between Hunter Road balances. I was getting it done every 3k on both cars and while it certainly needed it, the money starts to add up.

12. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I've never had to rebalance anywhere near that frequency on any car I've owned. My last set (Michelin Exalto PE2) went their entire life without needing ANY rebalance after the initial mounting. Could you have some condition (suspension or alignment) that contributes to the issue?

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Wow... here's how it works for me:

1) buy new tires
    2) have them mounted and balanced
    3) drive the snot out of them until they're bald
    4) repeat

I've had no need to rebalance since I've had the MINI, 73,000 miles, 5 sets of tires.

Of course, for me, tires are soft of like disposable contact lenses. Just heavier.

14. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The conditions are many:

1. Aggressive alignment set up on both cars
    2. Crappy roads
    3. Lead foot.

All those let their effects be noticeable after tire rotation, specifically on my vert. Every time I rotate, I get a vibration that requires a balance. Having spoken with my tire guys, who are very good, it seems that the tire will go out of balance simply by buying used and the rubber being worn down. Even if the rest of the conditions are ideal.

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It really is impossible to go thousands of miles on a tire and not effect balance.

Hitting curbs, potholes, or other road hazards, normal tire wear may create an unbalance in the tire, along with alignment, racing, tire pressure, other rotation assembly wear like rotors etc etc.......:lol:

Someone participating on this thread should actually try a bubble balance and then have it compared to a properly calibrated other balance devices. Post the results.:idea:

Having often done this I well know the result.:popcorn:

16. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Well, my uneducated feeling is that while bubble balance might not be as good as the other method, it is better then doing nothing. Also doesn't look like it is too hard or takes too long.

Lynn, where do you get the weights from?

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  18. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
  19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I was looking at some other sources for weights. Few things that struck me is that they come in different weights ( 1/4 vs 1/2 oz) and different thicknesses (.1", .15", etc). I think a mix of the 1/4 and 1/2 oz should be enough to get you through the day. These are all stick on types, of course.

20. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Don't tire weights have a clip and you put them on with a combination puller/ hammer?

Jim