Do I need clay (yet)?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by jorn, Sep 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My R57 is but a week old, and came from the dealer with a pretty decent shine. I'm intrigued by clay kits, but would using clay at this juncture be premature? In other words, does clay solve a problem I do not yet have?

2nd, related question: If I run off to the shop for a modest detailing starter-kit, what should I pick up? (Pretend I own nothing.)

Thanks! :)

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Definately clay bar now. With a light touch along the paint you will know when it is time to do it again. You can wash, claybar, wash and wax every few months if you so desire.
    You will get all sorts of suggestions for product. Personally, I subscribe to Griot's and find their products very easy to use and the results incredable. The quality of microfiber is very important. Stay away from the dime store rags at 6/$1.00 or whatever. Good microfiber is more expensive but well worth it in the long run.
    Give your MINI a good bath using Dawn just this once to make sure it is really clean. Some may disagree because it is pretty harsh but it won't hurt the finish, then clay bar to your heart's content. Lightly run your fingers over the paint before and after to be impressed with the difference it makes. Follow with good wax.
    There is little to nothing you can do to avoid becoming OCD once you get started down this path so make dang sure this is what you want to do.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I'll vote for a quick claybar as well. It only takes 30 minutes or so...

Wash the car (Dawn is fine if you use a synthetic sealant/wax. If you use a normal organic wax like TurtleWax or P21s, no need). Rinse your wash mit / sponge well and then mix up a bucket of clean wash water with 2x the normal amount of soap. Slop the soapy water on to the car and clay one body panel at a time, moving up and down for vertical panels and forward/back for horizontal panels. After claying a panel, wash it to remove clay residue, rinse and move on to the next panel. The wash water will work as your lube and lets you immediately rinse the paint clean after claying.

Claying will give you the best possible surface prep for a coat of wax/sealant. Your car will have all sorts of junk on the surface... rail dust from the drip from the factory to the coast... crap from the ocean voyage... crap from the transport on the highways... Best to get rid of it now and start with a clean base! :D

4. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Excellent tips but using dawn will remove most if not all wax or sealant. If you use dawn, make sure you apply some type of wax or sealant when you are done cleaning the MINI.

When claying, make sure the area you are working on is well lubricated ie. quick detailing spray. This will prevent clay marring.

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    #5 Octaneguy, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    All excellent replies so far. Not too much to add except to clarify a few of your questions.

1.) Clay can be used on a day old, week old, month old, or years old finish. It doesn't really matter how new or old it is. What does matter is what has been subjected to the finish since the time it was painted and was theoretically perfect. MINI's are transported by train and boat before they arrive at the dealership. Yes there is potential for the paint to have above surface bonded contaminants. MINIs can also sit on dealer lots for days or weeks before you buy it. It might be new to you, but it's not new to the dealer, and therefore, it might need claying as well.

2.) A shiny finish doesn't mean it doesn't need claying. The best way to know is to feel the just cleaned surface with your finger tips and see if it's bumpy. If so, it needs claying.

3.) Even a finish that feels smooth can often feel more slippery after claying because the contaminants may not be visible but are still there.

4.) Claying removes all kinds of things including paint transfers that can look like scratches. Therefore claying is good to do regardless of the age.

5.) One poster talked about Griots, but you won't find that locally. Your best bet is to find either a Meguiar's or Mother's kit if you want to purchase locally. If you go mail order, check out my site...ShowCarSupplies.com and get the Meguiar's C2000 clay along with some Prima Glide clay lube.

Is clay lube really necessary? Not always. If you clean your car and dry it, then it's not always ideal to rewet the car with soapy water. It's better to wet sections, clay it thoroughly, then dry it and inspect your results. If you are satisfied with the results, then keep claying.

Check out this video I made on claying.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu8TpYGF9Fg]Claybar 101 With OctaneGuy - YouTube[/ame]

Richard

6. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #6 GreyLens, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    I've never taken care of a car before like I do now. I followed advice like this above and am now hooked on the whole thing. I do think it is worth the time to experiment with a few different PRODUCT LINES over time. OctaneGuy's video on claying is excellent. After trying the more comprehensive product lines I'll never go back to turtle wax and the like.

I, too, have settled on Griot's system. I tried Zaino and the line that OctaneGuy uses in his video but I like Griot's a bit better. They're all great, though.

Griot's: I've tried almost all of their products to include their Orbital devices, liquid waxes, etc. Here's what I've settled on.

First wash: Use the dawn, clay, Griot's sealant, followed by multiple coats of Griot's carnuba wax. Incredible shine.

Normal Wash:

I now just use their car wash with the micro fibre wash mitt. I like their regular wheel wash and brush. I use the spray on wax and their dry cloth to dry it. I use their dressing on trim and tires. The dressing inside is also great...not like the armor all stuff. I love their quick detailer "Speed Shine" to quick clean a few times between normal washes.

I'm also a recent convert to their Spray-On Car Wash. Spray it on like a detailer and wipe it/dry it with micro fiber cloth. Beautiful. I do this during water restrictions or bad weather days. Super clean....super shine.

Special Wash and Wax: Every 2 to 4 months.

I skip the spray on wax and use their Speed Shine and clay after a regular drying with the cloth. OctaneGuy's video shows a thorough clay method. Excellent. For waxing I've settled on Griot's new paste wax and/or stick carnuba. I don't bother with the machine application and liquid wax anymore. The "wax on" "wax off" process with Griot's paste wax, pads and pad holder (3" only) is pure pleasure. The smell in awesome. I put on five or six+ coats for this special wash. I always clay before big waxing like this.

Leatherique cleaner and refurbisher for those leather seats is awesome. Griot's resells it under their own brand.

Engine bay: I do this a couple of times a year. Liberally spray Griot's engine wash everywhere on warm, not hot, engine...let sit 10 minutes...rinse away....dry...apply engine dressing.

I'm not a Griot's reseller. The Prima System is as good IMHO.

The warning about leading to OCD behaviors is real. Be careful out there.

:biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5:

7. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The clay bar kit from Meguiars is pretty good. You should be able to find that locally. The bad thing about clay bars is that they are expensive. Try not to drop them on the ground, if so then you have to discard them.

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how to respond to that. Should I offer apologies, high five 'atta-boys or duck around the corner if I see you on the street? Sure is good to know there are others out there having fun keeping their wee beasties looking good though.

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's why we don't use entire bars of clay at once. :Thumbsup:

Also if you drop it, you don't have to discard it. Just pull out the visible debris, rinse it in running water, then set it aside to be used for wheels and glass.

Richard

10. Uncle

Uncle New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtUMFUEI7Dw&list=PL3D7FB26D1D6B6611&index=11&feature=plpp_video]Mike Phillips Demonstrates how to use detailing clay on Two Guys Garage with Bryan Fuller - YouTube[/ame]

11. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Like the others said, go for it! You can pretty much wash, clay, and wax a Mini in about 2 hours, and it'll be well worth it. The new MINIs have spent a huge journey collecting rail dust and shipping dust, some of which is certainly very stuck on. If you can run your hand over it and it doesn't feel like a 'new mirror', then it could use it.

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Mike's video is slick but it's just a promo for AG. He was much better when we were working together as SCG. :cornut: