Do you run ethanol free gas?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by mini on, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mini on

mini on New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I came upon this website that lists stations to buy non-ethanol gas. Check out Pure-Gas.org It seems to make a difference in mpg, power and runability in general.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
  3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I checked Ohio and most of the stations are marina stations...no prices listed...boat gas is EXPENSIVE :eek6:

4. geowit

geowit New Member

Oct 13, 2010
    retired
    PA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I was using a local Gulf station in Lebanon, PA but within the last month, they were forced to use ethanol. There was also a Shell station that was ethanol free. Same story with them. I was averaging about 30 mpg with the ethanol free Gulf, it dropped to 24 with the ethanol.

Geo.
    '04 MCS IB/W

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I get mine from Marathon on the corner of 5th ave. and Olentangy. Didn't see any ethanol sign on the pump island. Went in and talked to the owner who confirmed it was ethanol free.:D

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That is not a "top tier brand" MM, so does it work with no problems. I ask because there is a CITGO near me that is pure gas. I wasn't sure about trying it, but I might on my next trip north.

Jim

7. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I use Marathon gas, usually from the station at Sawmill and Home Road. MM, I'll check with them (if and when they are free from selling Ohio Lottery tickets:incazzato:) and see if it's ethanol free because I haven't seen any signs there either. Marathon is a good option in Ohio being that they are based in Findley, Ohio.

8. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah.....
    This falls into the category of buyer beware.

You can't go around with a gasoline "Test Tube" kit and do experiments out at the pump island without getting the "Pakistani Pump Jockey" all excited (not that there's anything wrong with being a Pakistani Pump Jockey).

As far as the top tier gasoline list. Let's see what happens... Right now the requirement on this is for ethanol content to be no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent. When this goes to 15%, does BMW bail from the list of automotive manufacturers supporting top tier? What then?

So to be on the "Top Tier" list, you must have 8 - 10% ethanol in the base fuel.

I find it strange that Marathon isn't on the "Top Tier" list.
    Hmmmmm..... I wonder if it's because they might not be putting 8.0 - 10.0 % ethanol in their gas? It's a wonderment????

So if BMW is taking a stand on 15% ethanol...... Is there a Diesel MINI in our future????

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Getting few and far between. Heading down to the dragon last month ran accross a "Delores Market" in the middle of TN with a big 'Ethanol Free' sign out front. After a eBrake induced power slide I took a flier that the storage tanks were fairly clean. Damn Augie was mighty happy and showed it with about a 3-4 MPG improvement.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #10 Steve, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    I found an ethanol notice on the pump at one of my favorite Shell stations many months ago. Didn't see it until the tank was almost full. When I asked (complained) about the change to the manager said she couldn't get ethanol-free anymore -- claimed to have tried -- and that I'd have to drive a couple counties away to find it. She was right. I can't find ethanol-free gas anywhere near me now.

The other thing that bugs me about this is I remember when "gasahol" (as we used to call it) first came out many years ago and the gasahol was always cheaper than gas without alcohol...as it should be...but they didn't drop the prices here when they switched to the ethanol juiced stuff.....

11. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    VP Racing Fuels is the only option available to me in south florida. my car likes it alot. especially when i give him the good high test stuff for track weekends (and a week before to let the dme adapt). i get much less knock sensor timing retard.

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I would if there was any close to me. The only two places in my neck of the woods (thanks to Lotsie's map link) are one BP station about 30 miles away, and a grocery store chain about 5 miles closer - not exactly top tier stuff but both good, well run, high volume stores. If I'm that way it would be worth it to fill up there - definitely improves the fuel mileage.

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if all CITGO stations are E-Free, but I will try a tank next Tuesday and give a report.

Jim

14. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Yeah.......
    The price all becomes a blur......
    The pump price changes daily, it's different by the freeway, it's different 5 blocks away, it's different with ethanol, it's different without ethanol, it's different when some fool blows something up in the mid-east. BP reported 1.5 billion in profit in the paper yesterday after their oil fiasco. So have you noticed food prices going up yet, being driven by the grain going into Ethanol production?:mad5:

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Side note-my John Birch Society brother who thinks most conservatives are a bunch of pussies refuse to buy Citgo cause it's owned by the Venezualan Gov't........

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I read all that Tim and after giving it considerable thought, if it is E-Free, works and is not cost prohibitive, I'm buying some. :D

Jim

17. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I am the chief cook and bottle washer (by choice) and yes the food prices go up and down for no real reason, just like the price of gas.

Jim

18. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Come to think of it, I saw price differences when I was driving cross country about a month ago. In at least a few states I stopped at stations where the mid-grade gas price was equal to or even less than the lowest grade (regular)...the mid-grade stuff had ethanol in it while the premium and regular didn't.

19. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I checked out that website. There's not one single gas station listed in the entire state of California that's ethanol free. Sadness!

At least there's 100 octane unleaded at a few gas pumps around these parts... I'm assuming those are ethanol free... but at $6.99 a gallon it's a bit pricey for all but track days!

20. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Right behind ya' at the pump brother. Communist Schomunist we're talking performance here.:cornut: